Please, explain 'mediation' to me. (reguarding visitaion, between divorced parents.

Here's the back story-
Long story short- My husband now has sole custody of his 3 year old daughter. (had court today) He is to grant visitation as he sees fit, completely on his terms, and supervised. So, it will probably be in a public place, once a week. The mother's boyfriend abused the child and the mother is going to continue living with him. (She wants him in the child's life still, but that obviously won't be happening.)
In court today, the judge asked my husband if he wanted him to schedule mediation, so decisions can be made civilly and with an unbiased witness. He said yes. We get the general idea of what this mediation is. I basically would really appreciate it if someone who has been in a similar situation would shed a little more light on it for me.

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 4:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's exactly what it sounds like. I lived in California back in the 80's and got divorced from my first husband, very abusive man. We had a custody fight (which I won) but during that time we were mandated (forced) to go to mediation. We sat down in a room with the mediator and they tried to get us to come to an agreement on custody. Of course I was not having any part of him having joint or shared custody at all so I would not agree to anything and it went to court and the judge ruled in my favor. So since your husband has custody, instead of just letting your husband say yes you can see the kid this day but no not this day and not having a set schedule, the mediator will try to help him and the child's mother come to an agreement on when and where visitation will take place. That's all it is and they are only there to keep the parents from killing each other.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 5:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• its kinda like counseling, you have a neutral party that helps you work out any problems and issues that you maybe having with out going back in front of a judge...
    Anonymous