Does anyone else get really anxious when they drive with baby sometimes??

Today should've been a nice outing to the post office with baby, but on the way home I hit a patch of black ice. I wasn't going very fast either (country) but it still freaked me out really bad. I ended up driving the rest of the way going 15-20 mph and paranoid as heck. Someone was behind me and they were getting really angry beeping etc. I pulled over and flashed my brake lights at them to pass me so they did and they zoomed way fast around me and ended up crashing into the ditch because there was more black ice!! I felt so terrible at the time but now I also feel like people should drive with caution when it is raining and cold. I pulled over to them and they rolled down their windows and said they were ok but I called 911 anyway and waited for the volunteer fire before leaving. They were out of their vehicle and I hope they are ok.
Anyway, now my anxiety level may be worse driving w/ my 9 mo. Ugh!!! Anyone else??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh yeah - that happens to me a lot. Especially when my husand is driving. Not that he's a reckless driver, but not being in control makes me crazy and I'm SO SCARED of getting into an accident with my dd in the car. Honestly I am a nervous wreck about EVERYTHING since she was born 6 months ago, but I guess that's what happens when you love something more than anything else in the world! I will take the anxiety if it means loving her this much!! :) You're just being a good mom.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• No, you can't let it bother you any more than you did before. You have to trust your driving abilities. When you get like that, you become a very dangerous driver....If you were that shaken up, you should have pulled to the side with your flashers on until you calmed down and could continue safely.

They caused their own accident because they drove stupidly. Should they have let their anger get the best of them? No. But if you were unwilling to go closer to the speed limit, you should have pulled over sooner.
    Anonymous

• I asked for people who get anxious when they drive sometimes (IE: when it is snowing, icy) with their kid in the car.. not for someone who thinks that I was flipping out unnecessarily. I was 1 minute from my house, by the way. And this a road with no marked speed limit. I've been known to go under 10 mph on this road in the winter because it is not salted and is not well kept.

And, I was shaken up but I also waited for 35 minutes waiting for the volunteer fire to show up - if you'd read the entire question you'd know that. I was calmed down some before I left. And I absolutely have been known to pull over if I feel really anxious. But normally pulling over is NOT an option around here. If you do you will get stuck in the snow or you will go off the road trying to stop. So thanks for the advice but I think having driven in the snow belt for 13 years and never going off the road qualifies me over you.
    Anonymous

• I just want someone to commiserate with me and share tips.

If they get anxious, what do they do to help?? I used to chant and that would help but now it just makes me worse.

Anonymous

• I did read the entire question. And you did not stop when you were first shaken up...you continued to drive while anxious and driving in an unsafe manner. Distance doesn't matter. My mom was killed in a car accident less than a mile from her house because she was driving stupidly...and without a seatbelt.

Do I get anxious when I drive? NO. Because I don't drive if I'm anxious.

What do you do to help if you're anxious while you're driving? PULL OVER until you can CALM DOWN.
    Anonymous

• I'm not going to sit there for 2 hours with a screaming kid because I am not home to nurse/feed him when I am a minute from my house and I"m not even that anxious anymore .. and I also reiterate that you can't always pull over. Sometimes pulling over would cause an accident. And I'm often anxious anyway. It doesn't make me incapable. You are just projecting.

And I did drive the 3 feet to see if they were okay and pulled over immediately to call 911! A person has to DRIVE to pull over. Duhr. I can't just pull over magically without driving.. =p
    Anonymous

• And just so you can wrap your brain around why pulling over can be unsafe: Last year I was very pregnant in winter. I had to drive to the OB's (45minutes). A couple times on my way home, storms started and let the snow loose. It can add up here quick and make visibility very miniscule and driving dangerous. You bet I was anxious.. but pull over?? WHERE?? The snow drift and get stuckor go in the ditch -- often with no cell service -- and run the risk of no one driving by to save me or seeing me, or worse, someone driving up going too fast and plowing into the back of me before they ever even see me like the couple that got killed last year?? Heck. No. I'm gonna bite the bullet and GET HOME..
    Anonymous