Is it normal that my five month old isnt trying to grab anything other than his bottle? He also doesnt roll over.

He is a swaddle baby he wont sleep unless he is all wrapped up, i dont know if the restriction while sleeping could affect his not wanting to reach for things or his not trying to pick things up. As for the rolling over he doesnt like to be on his tummy at all after like two minutes of it he just buries his face in the carpet and screams..

Jessane

Asked by Jessane at 5:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What do you want him to want to grab? A lot of babies don't like tummy time. I wouldn't let him lay on the carpet. Lay him on a baby blanket across your lap or on your belly or even on the couch with you sitting there with him. Never leave him alone on the couch. As for the swaddling, he is fine. As adults we like wrapping up in blankets to stay warm and cozy too. It's all good

Answer by admckenzie at 5:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My son HATED tummy time and did the same thing. So he rolled from back to front before front to back. He wasn't doing a lot with progressing with it but then at 7 1/2 months he figured out rolling onto his tummy and crawling and pulling up and cruising all in the span of 3 days. lol.

Not reaching for things?? Eh my son did not show --purposeful-- reaching for things other than the animals and certain red things til he was 6 months so 5 months is not that surprising. If baby is progressing developmentally atleast some and seems to be going toward developing, it really is YOUR babies curve of growth and development and you shouldn't compare to others. I don't think being swaddled has anything to do with it as my son was swaddled and is developing fine..
    Anonymous

• every child is different so this may be normal..im not sure. my 3mth old grabs and reaches for things like her toys. Do you try to play with him? For example do you hold the toy up for him to grab? Maybe you can try that. As for as tummy time my daughter does not like it but I put her on her tummy till she starts to cry or put her face in (whatever shes on) blanket, play gym, or boppy.
    Anonymous