bad timing (potty training question)?

I am attempting potty training my son for the first time today! first time for the both of us lol. Well I had him sit on the potty and he did fine. He wanted to play with the toilet paper and he wiped his penis, although nothing at all was coming out. After a while nothing happened so we stopped. Well not even a few minutes later in the living room he peed on the floor! Do you have a similar beginner story? How long should I have my son sit on the toilet? There wasnt a lot of tp on the roll so I let him play with it...is that ok? I tried distracting him with a book, but he wanted the tp.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 5:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you did fine. You don't want to make it a battle, so keep him there only as long as it is a happy experience. It's fine to let him play with the TP if it keeps him happy and doesn't bother you. I would suggest keeping an almost empty roll and switching to that one when he is there before so he won't have the opportunity to shred through a full roll!
    Anonymous

• thats a great idea anon 5:19 thanks! giving him his "very own roll"! :) and thank you for the encouragement! Hopefully the timing will work out soon lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• You're welcome! I have twins who are potty training, so I figured the empty roll trick out pretty soon after we started. Seriously they thought using the potty was all about the toilet paper...now it's all about washing hands, which would be fine if they could both reach the sink at the same time.
    Anonymous

• You're using a different approach than I used. We didn't do any just sitting on the potty. We went straight to underwear and I didn't put her on the potty until she started having an accident, so then they see very quickly what it's for, rather than sitting wondering when something will come out. It's a bit messy at first, but as long as you're committed and have a few days to stay home and focus on it, it goes really quickly. My second daughter is really wanting to sit on the potty (15 months tomorrow), and I think she's too young to switch her to undies, so I have had experiences similar to what you described. I'd say just watch closely after he gets up, keep a potty close by, and whisk him off to the potty if you see him starting to pee on the floor. Then, if you're lucky, a little bit will land in there, you can praise him, and you'll be well on your way! Making them sit too long on the pot can lead to power struggle.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2009