How much Ibuprofen is safe to take while breastfeeding?

I have Hidradenitis Supprativa. I take Ibuprofen to keep the swelling down. I recently moved, so I lost my good doctor. Well i just ran out of the prescription that he gave me, and stupidly threw out the bottle. Now i cant get another script until i find a new doctor, and have him check me out and all of the BS. So anyways...I used to only take 1 pill a day. But now that i ran out and havent taken any in a couple of days im having a bad flare up, and want it to go away quickly because its painful. So how much Ibuprofen can I safely take in a day while breastfeeding? Thank u. sorry for the rant.

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Health

• All the books say not to take anything but Tylenol while breast feeding.

Rx strength ibuprofen is 800mg. 4 of those can be taken daily by non-pregnant and non-BFing people.

I'm not a doc nor am I familiar with your condition. Good luck finding a new doc! You can probably call a pharmacist and someone will be able to help you get through your tough time.

Answer by ecodani at 5:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin ...) is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent. Ibuprofen passes into breastmilk in very low levels -- less than 0.6 percent of the maternal dose. It is also frequently given directly to infants to reduce fever. The American Academy of Pediatrics considers ibuprofen compatible with breastfeeding.
    Hale, T. Medications and Mother’s Milk 2000 Pharmasoft, Amarillo, Texas, 2000 345-46
    Spigset,O. & S. Hagg, “Analgesics and breast-feeding: safety considerations” Pediatric Drugs 2000 May-June 2(3) 223-38
    Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation, Briggs, Freeman, Yaffe, 1990

So i know that it is safe, i just don't know in what quantities.

Answer by Rebekahs_Mommy at 6:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Can you ask the pediatrician or ob/gyn about it in the meantime? Or a pharmacist?

Answer by BJoan at 7:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2009