How much Ibuprofen is safe to take while breastfeeding?

I have Hidradenitis Supprativa. I take Ibuprofen to keep the swelling down. I recently moved, so I lost my good doctor. Well i just ran out of the prescription that he gave me, and stupidly threw out the bottle. Now i cant get another script until i find a new doctor, and have him check me out and all of the BS. So anyways...I used to only take 1 pill a day. But now that i ran out and havent taken any in a couple of days im having a bad flare up, and want it to go away quickly because its painful. So how much Ibuprofen can I safely take in a day while breastfeeding? Thank u. sorry for the rant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Health

• All the books say not to take anything but Tylenol while breast feeding.

Rx strength ibuprofen is 800mg. 4 of those can be taken daily by non-pregnant and non-BFing people.

I'm not a doc nor am I familiar with your condition. Good luck finding a new doc! You can probably call a pharmacist and someone will be able to help you get through your tough time.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin ...) is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent. Ibuprofen passes into breastmilk in very low levels -- less than 0.6 percent of the maternal dose. It is also frequently given directly to infants to reduce fever. The American Academy of Pediatrics considers ibuprofen compatible with breastfeeding.
    References:
    Hale, T. Medications and Mother’s Milk 2000 Pharmasoft, Amarillo, Texas, 2000 345-46
    Spigset,O. & S. Hagg, “Analgesics and breast-feeding: safety considerations” Pediatric Drugs 2000 May-June 2(3) 223-38
    Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation, Briggs, Freeman, Yaffe, 1990

So i know that it is safe, i just don't know in what quantities.
    Rebekahs_Mommy

Answer by Rebekahs_Mommy at 6:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Can you ask the pediatrician or ob/gyn about it in the meantime? Or a pharmacist?
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2009