if you were a victim would you come out or if your kids was a victim would you come out? why?

Abuse Victims Hold News Conference
Group Claims Diocese Has Not Shared All Documents

POSTED: 4:42 pm EST December 3, 2009
UPDATED: 5:17 pm EST December 3, 2009
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- A number of Catholics say the whole story about the Bridgeport Diocese sex abuse scandal has yet to be told. This, in spite of the release of thousands of pages of court files earlier this week.

At the news conference on Thursday, advocated held up pictures of Bridgeport Diocese priests either accused of or found to have molested young children, abuse victims and advocates said more needs to be done to look into the possibility that there are other victims.

The group claimed the Bridgeport Diocese has not shared all of the documents that a judge ordered it to release in connection with a 2001 settlement involving six abusive priests.

The diocese said it had complied with the judge's order.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The matter could end up back in court soon.

Meanwhile, church sex abuse victims and advocates asked the state's attorney's office to examine the thousands of pages of documents the diocese released this week.

The state's attorney said it will go over the documents.

Advocates for the abuse victims want a hot line set up for people to call, believing that there are still more victims.
    Anonymous

• 'coming out' about abuse is a personal issue. i don't know what i would do, as it hasn't/didn't happen to me.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 5:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I would go to the police.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I think I would for alot of reasons. I was "almost" molested as a kid. I knew it was wrong and that I was not doing anything wrong. So I tattled. I think I would come out for that reason....to be strong enough to tell, because I know it was not my fault, and heal inside and help others with support.
    Anonymous

• i came out about abuse from my stepfather and all it got me was kicked out of my home, removed far from siblings and a years of depression. I have recently overcome those challenges but if i had to do it over again. i still would. In the case of a religious hec yes and with quickness.
    Anonymous

• I think its a personal thing, and would be different for different individuals.

Its much easier to come out and complain as an adult than a child, the child is at the disadvantage that the consequences of coming out and not being believed are frightening in itself. The perpetrator with the respect, quite rightly can threaten which of us are they going to believe.

I admire those who have the courage to come out as adults in order to try and stop others suffereing the same fate.

I was tried as a child, and alhamdulillah by Gods will saved from that fate , but in later life as an adult i always felt gulity that some one some where did fall prey to him (he wasnt a priest ), and perhaps if I had had the courage to come out it might have prevented some one else from being abused. In that position. I think if my testimony was necessary i would come forward, but difficult to say, unless you really suffered it.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 4:26 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I would tell,for sure. If it was a Priest, a relative, a teacher, anyone, I would definitely go to the police. If my family was upset, I would tell them where to go. If they didn't support me,they would no longer be my family.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I did come out (unfortunately, to late for anything to be done legally). It wasn't any kind of religious figure though and I know he didn't have access to any other children. My mother tried to tell me that my memoery was "skewed" and it was actually someone else who did it. But, I know who it was and I refuse to fight about it. I have said my piece, I feel better, and I have moved on. If I had it to do over again, I don't think I would change it. I believe that the experiences we go through in life are what make us who we are and we can choose to either let them defeat us or we can rise above it and be a better person.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2009