How often

Do you hold your baby? Mine is 7 months and I feel like I hold her and am always constantly entertaining her because she doesnt like to be alone...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wore my baby until she was a year. So I held her all the time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• They have to be alone. At 6 mos we broke ours of needing to be held all the time. I left her in an area where I could see her but she couldn't see me and let her play with toys for about 20 mins while I did other things that needed to be done. Since doing this our LO who is 17 mos now plays very well on her own and we don't have to entertain her.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• i held my son all the time and my parents would complain that i had spoiled him. i just felt like he was my baby and i would hold him 24hrs a day as long as it made him happy. now he is 3 and i am lucky if i can catch him. it had no effect one way or another.
    MirandaLacy

Answer by MirandaLacy at 6:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• you should try to let her play alone but not if it means she will continue to cry for over 10 mins. don't feel bad my son is only 3 and1/2 mths old and he is the same way. I figured they didn't start getting clingy til they were a little older than him but I was wrong! he wants me to constantly hold and entertain him too. I wouldn't worry though she just feels secure with her mommy! eventually she will learn to keep herself entertained for periods of time.
    mommy2Jayden21

Answer by mommy2Jayden21 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My daughter was fine playing by herself from day one - my son was a "high maintenance" baby :) He wanted to be held ALL of the time - - I wore him a lot so that I could get other stuff done and play with my daughter (who is 2 years older). He started crawling at 4 1/2 months, but still had to have me nearby. He started walking at 9 1/2 months and now he's off and running - - -He wants to be held still when he's tired or hungry, and the rest of the time I can't catch him! :) Don't worry about spoiling your baby - the connection you form when they know that they can trust you to hold them and comfort them is like none other. Your baby will grow out of this stage, and then your going to wonder what happened to your snuggle bunny!! LOL
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 7:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I hold my oldest kid until I had the 2nd one, then I carried both of them. They're not gonna be babies forever, so hold them while you can
    karla85

Answer by karla85 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Just because she doesn't want to be alone doesn't mean you have to entertain her constantly. Babies are interested in seeing the world with you and watching you go about your day. They need and want to be close to you so they can learn.

It isn't that they don't know how to entertain themselves -- they do...it is just that being with their parent and watching everything is what they are hard wired to do.

Invest in a sling so that you can have the baby with you and can still do what you need doing.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• now that my 11 month old is walking, he is more independent and likes to go off and get into things and play with toys, but he still whines like crazy if i leave the room or god forbid try to wash a dish, he is all over me. i have to go sit down with him and get him interested in toys before i can walk away for a minute to get someting done. cooking dinner is impossible every night because he whines at me but i cant cook and hold him. babies are clingy to their mamas so i guess we should just enjoy holding them now cuz soon they will grow up and not even want a hug
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2009