With all the taxpayer money that is put into education....

American 15-year-olds score below the average for advanced nations on math and science literacy. But don't worry, our nation's future leaders are still ahead of their peers in Mexico, Turkey, Greece, and a few other places.

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d08/tables/dt08_403.asp

Do you think this is acceptable?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "Having worked in education, there are 2 problems: government and bad parenting."

If it's the parents fault, then all the money in the world won't improve education. No point to pay teacher more, I guess. If it's the government's fault, I sure as hell don't want them running medical care in the U.S., judging by their results.

The truth is, it's the teachers, the unions, the parents, and the government's fault. No one individual owns it. More money won't improve it, more government won't improve it. Unfortunately, that is the most common solution, more money and more rules and laws.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I am still on the side of....it's not the schools, teachers, superintendents, or the department of education. It is the responsiblity of the parents to ensure their children take advantage of the education offered. Too many parents do not have high expectations for their children. In fact, many do not have control over their children as they reach teen yrs. My kids have responibilites, and the first is to their education. I also provide numerous other activites to subsidize their education, and none of them cost me a dime! It's not the education offered, its the lack of support from the parents.
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I'm not surprised considering less than 5% of the federal budget is geared towards education.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you to a point, momsbreak5654.... So why do we spend more $$$ compared to other nations who are ranked HIGHER then us? People blame the parent for poor academics... But then people blame insurance companies for people dying.....  When over 75% of health problems in this nation are PREVENTABLE... Meaning if people held themselves accountable and made Responsible choices, they would be healthier... If parents were held accountable and made responsible choices, perhaps kids would be better academically.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

Yes, but look at city, property, and state taxes, too.... Americans pay A LOT for education.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Ohh and anon, 5% still equates to more $$ per student compared to OTHER nations who score higher in relation to the US.
    Sooooo, they are scoring higher and spending LESS.... hrmmmmmmmmmm
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Thats because instead of TEACHING our kids BASICS the teachers are having to teach ISSUES. Take up MATH time to teach gay issues, not enough time for science, but PLENTY of time to spend EXCESSIVE amounts of time studying ONLY AA leaders the entire month of February. Then there is all the other PC crap AND the fact that teachers are expected to just put up with horribly behavior because 1) they arent allowed to discipline, 2) if they DO reprimand johnny's mama comes up to the school, pitches a high holy fit, then the principal gets onto the teachers, OH and did I mention the TESTS OMG! They have the end of Quarter tests, the SAT tests, the AR tests and the Dibbles tests,and whatever OTHERE tests they can squeeze in. (cont)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I know...how about we just TEACH the kids like we USED too and get all the rest of the crap OUT and hold theses kids accountable....I mean, have you SEEN the schools that no longer do F's because it might hurt someones FEELINGS!
    momof030404

• momsbreak made some excellent points.

Having worked in education, there are 2 problems: government and bad parenting. Teachers are WAY under paid. I live in a very under achieving state. The worse off the school district, the more under-qualified people they have to settle for to work and teach there. No one wants these jobs. The kids bring weapons, they miss tons of class, they are out of control. The federal and state governments make bad polices that allow this to keep happening.

Private ed is really no better though. I quit my last teaching job in private ed bc of student violence in the classroom. The school was so desperate for the tuition money they did not expel the student.

During my student teaching in public ed, there was a clear division in the classroom: involved parents and absent parents. The kids who score the highest had parent s who came the special lunches, signed homework, sent in snack, etc.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I think it is both the educational standards and the parents. I read where at the elem. levels, our kids test out the same as the other "smart countries" but by the time they graduate, our kids have fallen way behind. If this is true and accurate, then some of the blame has to be laid at the educational standards we have. These other countries actually go to school less than American kids. As a nation, we need to focus more on education, but when we have so many other things that are important, and your kid is doing OK in school, you kinda say to yourself, well, that is ok, I don't have to worry about THAT, and go on to the next thing. I think there are too many courses in HS that are unnecessary, and the ones that are necessary are not taught to the extent that they should be. I believe that we should take control of our kids education away from the gov't and deal with it more ourselves. Will it happen? I doubt it.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2009