My son is turning 2 and we just started potty training...but he has a hard time sitting still on the potty. Is this a sign he's not ready?

He's got a lot of the other hints, he know when he's going to pee, and he hates a dirty diaper. He also gets really excited about using the potty, but if he can't sit still to try, is it worth the effort?

kricketsong

Asked by kricketsong at 6:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it is worth it!! If necessary, reward him just for sitting on the potty the first week. Once he gets used to sitting, the reward can be for when he goes. Praise him everytime he sits on it and just remind him that "next time he can sit on it longer." It's all a learning experience. All three of mine t2 boys and a girl) have been different.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Get toys that he can only use when on the potty. For nighttime get a flashlight that he can play with. Also remember that at this stage if you make it into a chore, he will rebel against it. If you are sitting him on the big potty, you may want to invest in a potty chair that can stay in the same room that you are playing in. He will be more apt to sit on it more often. My DD would watch Dora while sitting on it. She started potty training in June and I just went completely to the big potty in November. for the last several months she would bounce back and forth between potty chair and big potty.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I never tried to potty train a 2 year old. My kids were around 3 years old. Once they were ready, they were "trained" in a day and never had accidents. If you do it too soon, it is a lot of work and there are a lot of accidents, night-time wetting, and all kinds of issues. I don't know if they still teach parents to wait until the child is ready and let them lead the way...but they did when my daughter was young and she is now 20.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• There are different schools of thought... THis is just my opinion, but I don't think they have to walk right up to you and say, "ready to train, Mom" before they can handle it. I think they enjoy being 1 1/2 or 2 and not sitting in their own poop. My daughter was 19 months and trained fine. But not too many kids like to just sit there... it's like time out and can create a power struggle you don't want. I think it works better to put them right in underwear, stay home for a few days. Put him in undies and a shirt, keep potty close by, and move him there quickly every time he starts to pee. He'll get what it's for in no time, and he'll associate the sensation he feels with the potty. Unlike when they just sit there, hoping something will happen to come out then... It worked for us. Took maybe 3 days before there were hardly accidents (loads on the first day, of course), a week before she was totally day-trained.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Does your son like to read or be read to? Sometimes my son (23 months tomorrow) will just sit and look at books on the potty, or we'll read to him. That keeps him from running off sans diaper and peeing on the floor. :)
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My daughter has books in the bathroom. For about a week she got scared of her poo, so the way I got her to stay on while she went was I gave her some lotion and she would rub it on her legs
    Anonymous

• imo it's just thst he doesn't want to sit still, you can always make him. it's probably time that he learns to do things he doesn't necessarily want to do, like sitting still and waiting for his body to evacuate. you can also sing him songs and give him potty candy (candy is a very effective reward for youngsters that don't get it often)
    Anonymous