Bad Cough? Need Advice!

I'm a first time mom of a 4 month old baby boy. Yesterday he started coughing and it sounded really loud so I tried to make a doctor's appointment. I couldn't get in until Tues, so I was wondering if there was anything over the counter I could give him or should I take him to the ER? How serious is a deep cough and runny nose at his age? Some people are telling me to go to the ER and some are saying its nothing major just give him Infant Tylenol and let it run its course.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The cough is most likely caused by the runny nose. It is running down the back of his throat and drying it out. When you put him to bed, elevate him by putting a rolled up blanket under the mattress, use a humidifier, baby vicks on the feet, and push lots of fluids.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I have a 4 1/2 mo old and he has the same problem :( We put a humidifier in his room and that has helped some. Other than that just try using a nose-sucker to get the boogers out. GL and I hope your LO feels better soon!
    landons.mama

Answer by landons.mama at 6:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• my 3 month old had the same problem and his doctor said do not treat an infant for a cold or cough. he said not to give him tylonol or anything else unless he developed a fever. he told me to just let it run its course but go with your instincts on the er situation. before I talked to my son's doctor I took him to the er and they gave him a chest x ray and took blood to make sure it wasn't something worse than a cold but my son also has medicaid and I don't know your insurance situation. if you get too concerned though I would take him to be sure.
    mommy2Jayden21

Answer by mommy2Jayden21 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• He's probably coughing because of the congestion - - tylenol won't help that, and he's a little young for baby vicks. You can use essential oils much the same as vicks - eucalyptus oil mixed with some unscented baby lotion on his chest, back, and feet would help. California Baby makes a good cold and flu oil that I've used with good results. A humidifier in his room and his mattress elevated on one side would also help.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I am just concerned that you can't get your child seen by a doctor for a sick appointment until Tuesday.....That is five days from now! What kind of insurance do you have? I believe there are standards about how long you are supposed to wait for a sick appointment and I am pretty sure it is NOT 5 days! Call the doctor's office back tomorrow morning! Does he seem sick, or is he pretty much himself? Does he have a fever? If he doesn't have a fever and he doesn't seem really sick, he is probably okay. But I still think the doctor's office should be able to see him before Tuesday if you called on the previous Wednesday!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2009