Pregnant 6wks after giving birth? (Hormones playing tricks?)

I just went to the doctor for my 6wk checkup after having my son, and when they did a urinalysis they said it came back positive for my being pregnant-- again.

The nurse said it might be because of the high hormones I still have with my feeble attempts at trying to breastfeed (son was born preemie, stress was high, no problem lactating after birth). I understand most women don't get periods till after 2 months after birth if not further along, and farther still if they're breast feeding-- so how is it possible the test came back positive?

I was looking into forms of birth control, but now they're saying no sex for another 2wks, or to let them know I had my period and to schedule a checkup earlier than the 2wks. We've been using condoms and checking for possible leakage, and with the way the economy is and all, one baby is definitely enough for now.

Has anyone else come across this? Should I honestly be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well you are most fertile within those first 6 weeks so if you had sex within those 6 week it is very possible that you are pregnant. I would wait a couple weeks and retake a pregnancy test. I'm not a doctor but if I could guess I would say its very likely. good luck and I hope everything turns out the way you want it to.
    mommy2Jayden21

Answer by mommy2Jayden21 at 11:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• well you should have waited for the doc to give you the okay to have sex so you could have gotten bc. now you just need to wait and see and in the mean time listen for real and dont have sex until they say its okay to or you'll be in this same boat again
    Anonymous

• Wow, anon. hate much?

OP- I breastfed and didn't have a positive but each womans hormones are different. I can't think of any other reason for the positive but you can ask for a blood test to be sure.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• If the ignorant Anon had READ my inquiry correctly-- my husband and I HAVE BEEN USING CONDOMS since I felt comfortable having sex again-- this however has only been a handful of times since we had our son.

I was thinking the blood test as well, but we'll see what happens in two weeks.

Also, it seems while I've not had a true period as of yet, I HAVE however been feeling the menstrual cramps for 3-8 days at a time, so I think my body is TRYING to go through the motions.
    Anonymous

• Did you have intercourse? My step sister got pregnant at exactly 6 weeks postpartum. The first time they had sex after the baby she got pregnant.
    Anonymous

• they could have ordered a blood test... that would have given them a definite answer
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I would think that's a given.

Are people just not in the mood to read tonight? LOL
    Anonymous