Sahm's how much does you so make? Where do you live?

I am thinking about it. I was just curious to know how much you guys live on. Do you get PA? How many children do you have? Sorry not trying to be nosy just collecting info because I contemplating becoming a sahm. I am really scared though.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My husband is a software engineer. He makes $105,000 a year before taxes. We have 2 toddlers and a baby on the way. We have one car payment and a large mortgage because we put it on a short note.

To stay at home, I had to make sacrifices like now I wear Revlon and Cover Girl make up instead of Prescriptives. My every day clothes come from Target, Walmart, or JCPenney sales. To me living more frugally is way worth keeping my kids out of daycare.

I have a Bachelor's Degree and a teaching certificate, so I do have the security of knowing I can find a job any time I want.
    Anonymous

• I live in the midwest. We have 4 children. We are not on PA. Hubby's base salary is $21K. He is in sales and we are living on less than $30K with his bonuses.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• we live in mass.my husband is a computer consultant and has the same job for 25 yrs..we are older i am 50 and he is 55.we have a morgage but not a very big one cause we bought our house 20 yrs ago and never upgraded...we have 2 cars..i have a jeep but you need one in mass.but then again the payments arent that high...
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I'm a military wife. Hubby's been in a little over 12 years and makes about $3400 a month. We are not on PA. We were on WIC when DD qualified (til she turned 5), but now that she is 5 we are not on that either. Our sacrifices for me to be able to be a SAHM is that we don't go out to eat very often, we do Netflix instead of going to the movies, we don't have the "best" of everything but we love what we have :-) We are lucky to have free medical, and not pay utilities and housing. I am planning on going back to college online courses next year when DD goes to school full time, so I will be applying for grants and such for that though.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• for now im a sahm...he makes $40k living in northern california
    I am deffinately going back to work and I make the same $30k during tax season and then its back to being a SAHM for me.
    we dont have a mortgage we rent, we are in the middle of paying off the car and clearing out some student debt of his. He's 22 and Im 18.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• We are in NC. My husband is active duty, and makes around $5500 a month. We have 3 kids. I do go to school though, but since my kids are in school at that time, I have no childcare. IF I need it though, I have family and friends that watch them for me.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• We live in Pennsylvania. We married when we were 32 and 38, and had both had 6 figure salary careers for a number of years before I quit to become a SAHM (at age 33), so we were able to live off of my/our savings and my husbands salary for the past 8 years. We have 2 children, and bought our home 8 years ago based on my husband's salary. We have a 15 year mortgage. We never needed PA.

Now that my younger son is in full-day Kindergarten, I have gone back to work as a special education teacher (earned my Master's degree and teaching certificate while being a SAHM)--which still allows me to be home when my children are, and attend school functions as needed.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Last year he grossed $107k and we live in TN. No PA of course. We do okay, travel mostly on cruises and have two new cars. He wants me to finish college in a couple of years when our youngest goes to kindergarten.
    Anonymous

• so. cal. 3 kids $320,000
    Anonymous

• We live in Long Island, NY and my husband makes about $56,000. When we bought our home in '96 we put about half down so our mortgage is low. We live within our means and get by.
    Anonymous