Question for exclusively pumping mamas. Advice?

how many ounces of breastmilk should my 6 month old son be drinking per bottle? i'm not going to be able to see him for 3 days and i need to know how much he should be getting per bottle. he eats about 4-6 oz per feeding and eats about 8-10 times a day. 2-4 of those bottles have been formula. i want to get back to exclusively breastfeeding when I get back home. When i'm away from home should I pump for an hour each time to keep up my supply? i am taking fenugreek right now to help but I have yet to bring it up to where my son is ONLY getting breastmilk. please help me. thanx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to pump when he would normally nurse and then pump until you are dry which may not necessarily be an hour
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Pumping more often is more important than how long you pump for... so I don't think it would do any good to pump for an hour... so I would just pump as often as you can even if it's only for 10 minutes at a time
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• the key is to pump more often rather than long periods of time. I would pump every 1-2 hrs. something that seems to work good with fenugreek is mother's milk tea. the combination is working great for me! I was not producing ANY milk because I quit breast feeding for over a month. I decided I wanted to go back to it and after just a week of taking fenugreek and mother's milk tea I am producing milk again! not a full supply yet but I would expect it to take a few wks since I wasn't getting anything before. I'm sure if it worked for me it will work for you. just remember in order for it to work you gotta pump frequently. Good luck!
    mommy2Jayden21

Answer by mommy2Jayden21 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• it really depends on how well your pumping oput out is. for example i pump every 4 hrs and get 3-5 oz. and my ds is 9 mts and takes 4-5 oz.. i have days where i pump 60z and others were i pump 2. but i would try pumping while nursing and while ur away pump the same time your baby would have been nursing
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2009