San Nicola, St Nick

where can i find more info on what the festival is? I read on it but it says a festival for kids but is there something i can buy for my kids and put it out for Sunday, Dec 6 San Nicola day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• www.stnicholascenter.org is the website for you!  We consulted it a few years ago when organizing a Saint Nicholas party at church.  Tons of ideas there -- for both home, school, or church.  Since you want to do something for your kids at home, one idea would be the custom of leaving their shoes outside their bedroom door when they go to bed.  From the stnicholascenter.org website: "As all retire, they place a shoe beside their bedroom doors. According to ancient custom, a bit of grain or a carrot is left in the shoe for the good saint's horse to eat. St. Nick fills the shoes with gifts during the night."  So I guess small gifts that would fit in their shoes would make sense, like candy or trading cards for example.  Have fun with it!

LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 7:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• At home, I always just put candy and small things in their shoes. Many times, the candy is in the form of candy coins, etc. We place our shoes by the fireplace before bed, and then I come down later and fill each shoe. My daughter's high school has a Mass and festivities for St. Nick's Day. There are a lot of fun activities and food there, as well as pictures with St Nick. The kids also do a few things during religious ed class.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• ok thanks ladies. We are not religious at all. I am actually wiccan but i want to do something fun for the kids.
    Anonymous

• I think it could still be a great thing to do with your kids. I was pagan for awhile, and I still did the St. Nick stuff. I just like the idea behind his story. : )
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2009