Question about bf

I've been bf my newborn since he was born (two weeks ago). I started pumping cuz it hurt for him to suck on me, well, I tried pumping today and I'm getting nothing. What can I do to get my milk flowing again?

melissaeady

Asked by melissaeady at 6:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A pump is a very ineffective way to get milk out for some women. Just because you aren't getting any, doesn't mean that you don't have any in you. I had to pump when I went back to work and some tricks I used were sniffing a onsie from my LO, taping her crying and listening to it, using a heat pad to help with let down.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Your milk is flowing if your baby is conent and wetting at least 6 diapers a day. Some BFing moms just can't get much when they pump. I'm one of them. I have no trouble with supply at all, but I am lucky if I can pump 1 oz from both breasts combined. That early tenderness is just something you have to work through. My LC says it's largely due to your newborn's mouth being so tiny that your nipple is rubbing their hard pallette. This stops somewhere around 2 to 5 weeks depending on the baby and how early they were born. You have made it 2 weeks, really the worst is over. Use some lanolin nipple cream and stick with it for a couple more weeks and you'll find that all this discomfort will soon be behind you.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I've been alternating between letting him suck at night and bottle-feeding him during the day. I tried to pump at 10 this morning and got nothing, and I just tried now and got only two drops, literally! I've been pumping just fine until today.
    melissaeady

Answer by melissaeady at 6:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• At 2 weeks your supply is starting to acclimate itself to what baby needs...up to this point you were in the engorgement stage so you could pump and get it out. Now you may need to hand express instead of pump. It sucks!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• First, join the breastfeeding moms group. It's much more helpful than the answers section. One of the biggest BFing misconceptions of all is that not pumping means not making. SO NOT TRUE! No pump is as effective as a baby and your breasts aren't used to a pump. So it can't get what baby can. Your supply is fine. Just keep nursing. I used lanolin and shredded iced carrots for the pain. There are also breast shells to give them a break.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2403352
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Bottle feeding can only hurt your supply. The best thing to do to keep up supply is keep up demand. Your body makes what your baby needs. If your baby nurses frequently, you make plenty. If your baby nurses little, you make little. Drop the bottles.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Like the last post said, at the very beginning you will get a lot when you pump due to engorgement. Now your supply is leveling off and while your baby can get the milk out, for some women a pump just can't.

If you keep offering a bottle, your baby may stop latching at the breast and may not go back. I've breastfed 2 babies and my DS was offered a bottle (of BM) at 10.5 months old and never, ever latched again.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I think the bottle feeding during the day is causing the problem. The breast feeding at night is not keeping your supply up. If you really want to breastfeed, then do it more often and don't use bottles for now at all.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• i ate oatmeal and made sure to drink lots of water through out the day. my supply has increased so much till i have to pump 3 times a day to keep from getting a clogged milk duct.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 7:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• are you doing anything for the pain? if its simply a pain issue you should know that 1. EVERYONE GOES THROUGH IT YOU ARE NOT ALONE! and 2. there are lots of ways to relieve it! would you like to know how?
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 10:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2009