My daughter got her finger shut in a door and the finger nail lifted off her nail bed..

..so i cut it all down to almost the bottom so it wouldnt tear off...it looks terrible.. Will her nail grow back? She doesnt have any nail on her finger other then a little sliver at the bottom...it has a lump on her finger where the nail should grow..I feel so bad...

mom2girliegirls

Asked by mom2girliegirls at 7:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My bf did that to his toe, and it grew back. At first there was some discoloration to the nail, but eventually it looked normal. It tooks a couple months to get back to the way it was at first. GL
    Sharde88

Answer by Sharde88 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• The same thing happened to my son, same age, only it accumulated blood underneath the nail and it was HUGE for almost a week before it self-drained, and then of course it fell off and looked all yucky and such. Well after a month it has almost grown back to the length of the others. It will grow back.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My son lost his thumb nail because he sucked his thumb. We had to cut it all the way down, i grew back really quick and it looked normal right away. It just looks gross for a week or so.
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 9:43 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• did you take her to the dr ? i did this to my pinkie finger when i was like 7 but i got my cought in the car door!! OUCH!!! and the same things happen the nail came off and where the nail was it was all black n blue!
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 2:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• when my son was 2 his older brother accidently closed the door on his finger. His whole nail ended up falling off, it took a few weeks to grow back. It'll be just fine. It just looks gross. Should make sure to keep it clean though.
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2009