How can I get my 6 year old to poop in the bathroom?

i have been struggling for the last 3 years on this. I started potty training my son when he was 2. We have struggled with getting him to use the bathroom ever since. We thought he was potty trained and then all of a sudden he acts like he has no clue as to what to do. He has accidents all the time, its not just peeing his pants,he poops in his underwear too. To me it seems like he would rather do it in his underwear instead of the toilet. I ask him what happened and he just says he was busy doing something else.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• i think you need to get him checked, he is way too old not to understand thats not normal maybie theres something going on.
    Anonymous

• take away whatever it is that he is too busy doing until he can learn to go...video games, tv, whatever it may be.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• It doesn't sound like he doesn't understand what to do just doesn't want to. Is there any reason to suspect a developmental or physical issue? If not then it is time to have consequences for this deliberate behavior. Like shay1130 said take away whatever he is distracted or busy with.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:31 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Personally 6 years old should no better if he says he is busy then i would not allow him to the activities untill he has gone potty. I dont know if your child is being lazy or if their is some underlaying issue. But if it is lazyness then then I would take all the good stuff away till he showed me that he can go in the potty.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:45 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I think both of the main options you have been given are good, having him checked if there could be some other developmental issue and if not then taking control and making him see that he has to act like a big boy if he is gonna be allowed to have his big boy things like vid games. My daughter is 4 and isn't wanting to potty train but she is developmentally behind, in some ways she is like a 2 year old and in some ways she is even younger than that and in others she is like a normal 4 year old its a strange thing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Look into sensory integration dysfunction. We had this problem with our son also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Dec. 4, 2009