cardio on a time restriction

Is doing 3 - 10 minutes medium intensity of cardio on my elliptical as good as doing 1 - 30 minute session ot low-medium-low intensity??
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Now that it is winter and only 8 degrees outside during the day..I have to move my workouts inside because I am wimp in the cold!! :)

jdeeregirl1

Asked by jdeeregirl1 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• It is different because you're doing faster, harder work in a shorter amount of time, but it will likely be sufficient to keep you in good health. To be honest, I think it's possible that doing the shorter and more intense workouts for cardio will end up being better for you. It creates a more intense workout that allows your heart and lungs to really work and that will create better health benefits than doing a low intensity long distance run/eliptical workout. You should switch between the two if you can to reap the best benefits for yourself.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 9:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• A short intense workout is better for you. Walking 3 miles burns basically the same calories and running 3 miles but it does of course take less time to do. It has greater cardio benefits too because it raises your heart rate more. Interval training helps too if you have an interval program (usually under hills on the control panel) use that or just increase your speed or level for a few minutes then dial it back to a more reasonable intensity. If you don't hold on to the handles you get a pretty good ab workout too. I did 30 minutes today on the interval program at level 10 out of 25, 10 of those minutes without the handles, and I left the gym dripping with sweat and with really sore abs.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• When I had a trainer, she told me that for women, duration is key. This is what she told me:

We are fighting estrogen. That the first 30 minutes is for strengthening your heart and only after that 30 minute mark do you really start burning stored fat/calories. You have to burn up the calories in your blood stream already before you can burn up the reserves. It takes most women about 30 minutes to get to the stored fat/calories. Even if you exercise first thing in the morning with no breakfast.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Well, Tony Horton of P90X also has the 10 minute trainer. Bothe men and women are in his vids. For anyone its better to go hard for 10 min. I think P90X has 10 min workouts on it so u can choose and mix up what you want to work on. Don't stick to just cardio, that works your heart and lungs, to burn fat you need muscle. Muscle burns fat. The more muscle the higher your metabolism. If you want to know more about fitness then go to Beach Body.. http://tinyurl.com/ykzyytq
    exoticwillow

Answer by exoticwillow at 4:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2009