pedialyte for a 2 month old?

Is it okay to give a 9 week old pedialyte?

I think my baby might be a little dehydrated, she hasn't peed much at all today and she's not eating very well.

I'm going to call the doc tomorrow but they don't have an emergency line...

Anyone know if I can give her some? and how much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would give her 2 ounces and dilute it with 2 ounces of water. Im sure it will be fine.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• she could have a little, but it would be more important that she take her breastmilk or formula.
    DON'T dilute it though... you should never mix anything with pedialyte... it has a specific electrolyte balance... by diluting it you mess it all up.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• i was just at my ped. yesterday and we were discussing this (my son is 1month) he said half and half...even gave some paper explaining it. so do half water and half pedialyte...he said you can do the same with gatorade also
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• give her formula or breastmilk - - at 2 months, ALL of her nutrition comes from that one source. She would only be dehydrated if she weren't getting enough. Giving pedialyte will address the symptoms (the dehydration) but not the problem (not getting enough formula/breastmilk).
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• NO! At 2 months she doesn't need anything except breast milk or formula! if anything give her some supplemented formula or some more boob time... no pedia stuff
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:04 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• NO!!!! She's too young to have anything other than formula or breastmilk! If she starts vomiting you'll have no way of knowing if it's a stomach bug or the stupid juice (and that's all it is...glorified juice)

Please look for a new pediatrician. What would you do if it really was an emergency since this one doesn't have an emergency line with a doctor on call?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:15 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• The sugar in the pedialyte may dehydrate her more. Just keep nursing her often (at least every hour) and call the doctor now.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2009