what does it feel like when you have cyst on your ovaries?

how do you know? what does it feel like? will you know and do they grow fast?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Health

• I think most of the time, you don't really know they're there unless they burst, unless you have an ultrasound or something for some other reason and they discover it. I know when mine burst it was the worst pain I'd ever felt, and that was after giving birth twice. I could barely walk, dry swallowed some Percocet (and I am one to gag on pills even with a drink), and when the pain med didn't kick in after a couple of hours, was ready to call 911 b/c I truly thought I might be dying. Finally, the pain med kicked in and it knocked me out, when I woke up I was feeling better. Still had twinges of pain for a couple of days, and had another one burst a few weeks later.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Sometimes cysts can cause a torsion. That's how I learned about mine the first time. My fallopian tube twisted over 2x on itself and my ovary was losing oxygen. PAIN! I went to the ER finally and they did an ultra sound and then sent me into emergency surgery. SUCKED! But they saved my ovary.

Mine have always been really large. When I lie on my back in bed, I have been able to see a huge lump in my guts. When they rupture, like the PP said, it is pretty nasty.

I did a major detox and stopped eating gluten and haven't had any problems since. I'm happy to talk with you about diet as a solution. PM me.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• so usually do they catch them or anything before any real damage can be caused? I just worry because i always feel like i'm bloated and sometimes i get these sharp pains. idk if it could even be anything, it usually goes away. i'm a worry wart
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I don't know if bloating comes from them or not, when I had them, it was while I was actually on my period (the first time, I actually thought it was just really bad menstrual cramps until I started throwing up and such), so I had bloating, and all the usual pms symptoms. The sharp pains...I do still get those from time to time, my dr says that they are very, very small cysts that are rupturing, so it is possible, I suppose, that what you are experiencing is cysts rupturing. If you're concerned, next time you are having the pains, call your dr or go to an urgent care. My dr told me that they can't really tell if it's cysts rupturing unless you actually go in while it's happening and they do an ultrasound. They should be able to see the cysts anytime, they just can't tell you if what you're feeling is them rupturing unless it's actually happening. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• i get ovarian cysts a couple times a month and have gotten them since i started my cycle when i was 12. mostly i dont feel mine, but occasionally i get a large cyst and its just sore until it bursts. and bursting can go from feeling like a menstral cramp to being instense. ive been taken to the ER 4 times due to the pain in them which the doc said was probably close to labor pains. ive always had a problem with them.
    AliciaD17

Answer by AliciaD17 at 3:18 AM on Dec. 6, 2009