Military benefits/ GI Bill? Horrible!

So BIL is using his GI bill and does his active duty on weekends and holidays and when school is out.

He's telling me that he does NOT get health insurance as part of his compensation. That he would have to pay out of pocket for it. But if he gets hurt or sick during his active days (which are like 3-10 day periods) the military will cover him.

Is this true? I am so upset!! I pay taxes so these people who protect me can live with dignity!!

If he is misinformed, how can I help him get things on track?

ecodani

Asked by ecodani at 9:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Health

• I am assuming he is in the Reserves or National Guard. If this is true, then yes, Reserves and National Guard have to pay for the health insurance if they want it. For a family, I think it runs about $250 a month, however, there is only a $150 deductiible. For the most part it is really good insurance. We have never run into any problems with it, but I have heard some people complain about some of the providers.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• He does have commissary and PX or BX privileges on his duty days. Also, he can use the gym facility anytime and seek JAG on base. 

Anonymous