foley bulb for induction? has anyone used this method & would you recommend it?

I will be 39 weeks as of my induction date the 11th ( my dd is the 18th) the doctor said she could induce me on the 11th and start the pytocin on the 12th. she gave me a paper on the foley bulb which is part of a study they have at the hospital. They send half of the patients home and half of them stay at the hospital. If you have used this were you sent home? I would feel more comfortable in the hospital if they are going to start labor. Does this method hurt and is there anything else i can suggest to the doctor or does this seem like the only option i am getting?? please help ladies!!

isabella1218

Asked by isabella1218 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you don't want the bulb then tell them. They can't make you use it; it's your body and you are paying them. Tell the doc you aren't comfortable doing it that way and you want to know your options so something else can be done.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• btw i have no idea what the bulb is and I was induced.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I've also never heard of that and I was induced 2.5 times. If you're not comfortable with it, they can't do it - legally - and if you choose to do it but are uncomfortable going home, they can't force you to - legally.
    Anonymous

• Don't let them give you Pitocin unless it's absolutely necessary. It is NOT good for the baby and has risks involved for both mother and child.
    Anonymous

• I haven't had the Foley, but know a little about it.
    Like with all things, you weigh your risks and benefits. This one seems less risky than others, maybe.
    But in the Big Picture is helping you to have the very safest, happiest, healthiest experience possible. This means your confidence MUST be strong.
    Why do you want to induce so early? Are you having some risky complications?

And yes! you have every right to decline participation in this study and to decline any offers to do anything you're not comfortable with or disagree with.
    Each woman is 100% in-charge of herself and her maternity care. She can hire specialists to consult with regarding her care, but she may consent or refuse anything she does not want.
    Please don't feel obligated or intimidated.
    Do you have someone to come to your prenatal appointments with you?
    Will you have a birth doula?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• the bulb is place in the cervical opening and then "blown" up. it the same thing that they use for a catheter. by inflating the bulb, it is supposed to open the cervix up. and it hurts just as much as it sounds.
    personally, i wouldn't be induced unless it was a true medical reason. the risk of induction is too great for mom and baby.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:03 AM on Dec. 4, 2009