How old were your little ones in a bunk bed?

I just took a chance and put my kids in a bunk bed. The oldest is 4.5 and the middle is 3. I have 3 children that have to share the same room and a small one at that. The only way all 3 can fit in there is bunk beds. I am nervous about my 4.5 yr old (which acts older than most 4.5 yr olds). Most beds distributed say never to let a child under 6 + sleep in the top bunk. But he absolutely loves it and tonight is their first night in their new beds.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My three year old twins have been in a bunk bed for a year and they love it. I can honestly say that we have had no problems (knock on wood). We bought the trundle to start out in and leave the top open but my son slept on the top the first night. We did buy the bunk beds with stairs on one end and a ladder on the other end. I was a lot more at ease with the steps instead of the ladder. Our oldest was 4 when we put him in a bunk bed. It was a year before he slept on top.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• (OP) Thanks so much. I got a bed with the stairs too. I got it at art van on clearance xXx it was regular about $1,300 and I got it for 500. :)
    saralouise

Answer by saralouise at 10:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My oldest was about 4 when she moved to the top bunk - maybe a little earlier, I don't remember for sure. But she was fairly young. Did just fine with it too.
    Anonymous

• My oldest was 5 when she went to the top bunk and my second-born was 2 1/2 when she went to the bottom bunk. The top and bottom bunks both had siderails for safety - we bought them from This End Up when they used to be in business. 16 years later and they are still as solid as can be - both girls use them as single beds now in their own rooms.
    The reason why they went to bunkbeds was because when our 3rd daughter was born she needed the crib and all 3 were sharing one room at the time and bunkbeds was the only solution to our space problem.
    You do what you have to do.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:36 AM on Dec. 4, 2009