how long before you felt normal after a cs?

I have a planned csection on tuesday.

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 9:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Depends on your threshold for pain and your determination. I was cooking Thanksgiving dinner 2 weeks after having my 3rd c-section (I had a newborn, 13mo and a 2yo at home...that was 3 c-section in just over 2 years). I didn't have a choice. I had 3 kids to take care of and no one to help me. My husband went back to work when she was a week and a half old.
    For the most part I felt better once I was off the pain killers (they were nice and all but they made me groggy) and the staples were out. Usually around 3 weeks I was back to my normal routine. Still sore but tolerable.
    It was another few months before most of the feeling came back in my abdomen and the stomach muscles start healing more.
    My last one (in 2006) was much worse. I ended up with an infection and was in constant agonizing pain for 4 months. I felt like my stomach was on fire and pain killers did nothing. It sucked. Hopefully next time won't be as bad.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• umm my daughter will be five months on the 18th and I still don't feel normal my muscles are still kind of weak and my stomach is still very numb.That's about it though.
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 10:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• It takes major work and effort for your body to get back to normal after a c-section. I was actually walking and moving better in the hospital than i did at home though! I made a major backslide when i got home, i couldnt get off my bed or anything (we have a high bed). So we migrated to the living room and i slept on the couch. Make sure you set your house up for when you return. Get things down that you wouldnt be able to reach without help, switch your sheets if you need to, if you dont have much extra help i would try to cook and freeze as much as possible. Stock up on soup!!! i couldnt keep food down for awhile! And when they offer you pain meds to take home, TAKE THEM, you dont nec. need them, but i needed them about 4 times and was sooo thankful i hadnt tried to tough it out!! GL hunni CONGRATS!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I was back to doing my normal things when I got home from the hospital (2 days after CS). I stil have numbness around the incision but that is it.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My daughter is now 13 months i still occasionally have a pang of pain near the incision. Not often, though. It took a bit longer for me. I ended up getting an infection in the incision. But to move comfortably, i'd say about 5 months.
    Anonymous