• In the Spotlight:

did you potty train when LO was still in a crib?

just curious! my son seems ready to potty train (he's 19 m/o) and though he didnt ever go while on the potty, it was a good day! Only thing is he is still in a crib and doesnt seem ready to transition (he doesnt try to climb out). I dont want to transition just for potty training purposes. I am following his cues and it looks like potty training will come first. I understand the bed transition is recommended so they can get up and go to the bathroom.... I recently joined a coupe of potty traiing groups, but I wanted to ask on here too!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I haven't trained my son yet... but I wouldn't worry about night training until later on. He's pretty young to even wake to go in the middle of the night. I would just focus on daytime training and when he starts being dry in the morning and will hold it until you bring him to the potty first thing... they he's ready to potty train at night.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:46 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Easier to night and day train at the same time. (experience with three) Get him in a bed, out of the crib. You don't want him trying to climb out to go potty and breaking a leg or worse. He's plenty old enough and it's easier to get them in a regular bed earlier...they are boogers when they're older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My daughter trained at 19 months and yes, she was still in a crib. There was no way she was going to be able to go at night at that point, though. If I were you, I'd go ahead and train for day, save night for later. They're very different skills. My daughter's now 2 1/2 and her body just isn't capable of holding it or of waking her up when she needs to pee through the night. She's just now starting to wake up sometimes to pee. A 19 month old really isn't going to get out of bed and go potty by himself anyway. If he does wake up and know he needs to go, you can come help him. I don't agree that you need to get him out of a crib. My daughter moved to a bed just a few months ago and wasn't a "booger" about it... she treats it just like a crib and won't get out without permission, has never even tried. On the other hand, friends of mine whose kids moved for no real reason earlier had tons of probs staying in bed.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:17 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• thank you so far ladies!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2009