Kitchen gadgets

I have always had luck w/ getting my parents a handy little kitchen gadget for Christmas - something that makes cooking easier for them and more enjoyable. I want to continue that tradition this year, but am having trouble coming up w/ a new idea. I was wondering if you could share what you think is your favorite, most useful, or fun to use kitchen accessory, to give me some ideas. In years past I've gotten them things like a mandolin slicer and a small food processor. $ is a little tight, too, so hundred dollar items, or anything close to that, are out...

Iskkra

Asked by Iskkra at 10:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• How about a salad spinner? I love mine!
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• May sound cheap or they may even have one, but what about a spice rack? I'm getting one for my mom because her spices are just all thrown together in the cabinet. They have some really nice ones at walmart or target that won't break your wallet :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Not to sound cheap but my co-worker told me to check out my local goodwill stores, ive been looking for a foodsaver that i can afford, so i can start buying in bulk and freezing food for when my baby comes....she said she found one that had never been opened for 10 bucks!!!! They get pricey in the store though....other than that, a new set of knives, new coffee maker (they have some really cool ones out now)....I would say go to bed bath and beyond website and check out their kitchen items..they have really nifty ideas!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Depending on what type of cooking they like to do, a mortar and pestle may be a good idea. Aside from that...my favorite kitchen toy is a mixer, something most people have anyway.
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 11:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• my magic bullet is the BEST
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 11:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I like tnm86 answer....a spice rack is good. Target sell some real nice ones. I bought one at QVC that was really cute and match my appliances. It doesn't look cheap, and the spices are really nice too.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.K22884.desc.Olde-Thompson-20Jar-Filled-Spice-Rack-with-SS-Accents

starbucks81

Answer by starbucks81 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I love the pampered chef can openers. They're really good, and its the kind that doesn't leave a sharp edge on cans. Other than that, I love my fiesta ware dishes. I know that's not kitchen ware really, but they are nice :)

Apple corer, wusthof knives, and bamboo cutting boards are other nice kitchen accessories.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Oh AprilDJC - I was going to suggest Pampered Chef! :-D
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Do they need new measuring cups and measuring spoons? A lot of times the print of the sizes wears off over the years and it's fun to get them some new ones. A new toaster perhaps? The Mr. Coffee Iced Tea maker is wonderful to have if they like iced tea and it is so simple to use and make. How about a George Foreman grill so they can have 'grilled' burgers cooked in the house? I love my Pampered Chef and Tupperware items - they can't be beat on quality and originality.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:29 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Really nice kitchen towels are a hot comodity in our house. Can never have enough. I also love my veggie steamer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2009