STUBBORN baby!

I feel like such a bad mommy lately but Im exhausted. My 8 month old now likes to wake between 5-6 a.m. and seems to get a second wind after his night bottle so he goes to bed around 10. And for the most part, he cannot go to sleep without me....I think we hold him too much but I cannot stand his hysterical screams :/ I get so frustrated and exhausted bc if I dont pick him up he just grunts and screams until I do. Hes soooo stubborn, and refuses to be laid down in his crib at night for bed.
any advice?

He gets 4 bottles 7-8 oz. and usually solids before 2-3 of those bottles, about 2 tablespoons oatmeal and about a jar of stage 2 each time...

Im having a hard time finding info on how much he should be eating. Hes a big boy, in the 97th percentile for height, so I dont know if I am underfeeding and my pediatrician tells me absolutely nothing.

CurvyMommato1

Asked by CurvyMommato1 at 11:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Here is a site that says what he should be eating:
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_age-by-age-guide-to-feeding-your-baby_1400680.bc#4

Anonymous

• First off, I would find a new pediatrician; you pay them to take care of your child and offer information and advice; they aren't providing that for you.
    I think he is old enough to let cry but that is your decision.
    Anonymous

• For starters - can you find a pediatrician that will answer your questions? If the doctor isn't doing that for you, he shouldn't be your doctor.
    You're absolutely NOT a bad mommy!!! :) Kids get into routines like this all of the time - - and have trouble sleeping in spurts that usually coincide with growth spurts, teething, and other milestone developments. Take heart - it WILL get better. I breastfed, so I can't give you a whole lot of advice on over/underfeeding except to say that if he is having 6-8 wet/dirty diapers a day, he's probably getting enough. You could try giving him an extra bottle if you're worried - if he's not interested, don't push it - he's had enough :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Try holding off on the last bottle of the night, try to play and keep him busy so he won't be so riled up after his feeding.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 11:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• You can't hold a baby too much.

I'll be honest and say I hate cribs. I personally would not want to sleep in a crib in a room all by myself in a room in the dark if I couldn't walk out of it or communicate with anyone. I'd lose my mind! Babies are hardwired to want to sleep in the proximity of people. Some babies give up calling out and others get hysterical. If you don't want to sleep with your baby, that doesn't mean that baby has to sleep alone in a crib. Babies will sleep anywhere and many will sleep better if they sleep in a room where their mother is. If that happens to be on the floor, in a baby seat, in a sling, or in a swing in any room in the house...so be it.

You will also have to accept that youngsters are most awake early in the mornings and it wont' be until the growth spurts of puberty that they will prefer sleeping the morning through! :)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I also second the change in sleeping patterns is normal and often coincides with growth spurts, milestones, and teething.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I was going to write a big long answer, but I think amileegirl already wrote everything for me!

I know it is tough, exhausting, frustrating etc., but he will only be a baby this one time. Love him the best and the most you can because soon it will all be over. We only have one chance to raise our children. Let him know how much you love him.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 12:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• If you just let him scream IMO that is akin to you having an emotional breakdown because your needs aren't being met and your husband slamming the door and locking you in your bedroom. Would -you- like that?? No?? Then I wouldn't do it to your baby, either. People seem to get "needs" and "wants" confused with children. A 3 year old screaming in K-mart for a piece of candy might actually be hungry - but momma is so concerned with believing it is a "want" that she doesn't think to feed her kid some crackers and just gets po'd. The fit ending doesn't change the need, make sense?
    This is totally normal and your baby is not stubborn. My 9 month old stays up nursing til 9-9:30 and gets up at 5 or 6 for a nursing session and goes back to sleep til 8 - 8:30 OR he doesn't and gets up at 5 or 6. I just deal with it, it's called being a mom. You can offer more food and you can't hold a baby too much, babies NEED a lot affection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Totally normal. He's not stubborn, he's just a baby. Welcome to motherhood!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:52 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Allright thanks everyone. Sometimes I get frustrated but in the end I am doing the right thing I think by not letting him lay there and cry for an hour..its just not my style of parenting, but then everyone tells you something different and creates doubt. he does sleep in my room amileegirl...i dont like him sleeping in my bed in case something happened but he is right next to me in a crib. Everyone is right though, hes only young this once so I should shut up and stop complaining :)
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2009