Does your family have a Christmas tradition? If so, what are they?

We don't really have one, but I'm thinking of starting one. So I'm wanting to hear some ideas to get some ideas than the ones I can think of....baking cookies and reading a Christmas story.

Growing up...it was dressing up for Christmas Eve, taking pictures by the Christmas tree, eat the feast that my Mom had made, and then opening up gifts.

starbucks81

Asked by starbucks81 at 11:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• When I was a kid we moved across the country from our entire family so we had to get used to the holidays alone. The first Christmas we were here we didn't know what to do with ourselves so we went to the only fast food place that was open and ate Christmas dinner there. It has since become a tradition and I still go there to eat either my parents (and now my son and hubby) to eat on Christmas Eve! Corny, but it has meaning to us lol.
    Anonymous

• On Christmas eve we do my moms family. On Christmas morning we do our thing at home, then to his moms, then to my Grandma's. Then home to unbutton, fart and sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I haven't started many. I want to start some more. I never got to celebrate Christmas, or any holiday for that matter, so it makes it all the more special for myself and my kids. We already bake cookies, and set out the milk for santa, and last year I started buying them each a pair of Christmas PJ's to wear to bed at night. I think I'm going to start with the whole popcorn string for the tree. My children and I decorate the tree ourselves.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 12:34 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• On Christmas Eve, my husband and our two children go to church and then we go to a realatives house and have our family Christmas for my husband's side of the family. I love it, it is one of my favorite times of the year seeing all the kids playing together!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 7:44 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• On Christmas Eve my hubby's sisters come over and they have 5 kids- one has two and the other has 3. All our kids (6) are aged 4 to 9. We all sit beside the Christmas tree, we turn off the lights and we make up stories about Christmas by the fireplace. They all sleep over (hubby's sisters live in California and we live in New Jersey) and the kids wake up christmas morning and open their presents before they even wash their faces!
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 8:08 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• On Christmas Eve we drive around after dark to view the lights and decorations in various neighborhoods and then we drive to the fairgrounds where we pay $5? $10? (Can't remember) for the car to drive around the whole area to view the displays the fire department set up. The whole length is a couple miles long and is so pretty and interesting! The money goes to charity, too.
    Then we come home and each girl gets to open one gift. Traditionally, it has always been a pair of pj's, but last year they told me they are tired of always getting pj's, so I am trying to find something new for that one gift this year.
    This is my granddaughter's first Christmas and since she lives with us we want to make it extra special for her.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:26 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• every year the children get a new ornament for the tree, we make mince pies, we do a 'december daily...do something everyday christamassy for the month of december and i journal it. on christmas eve we have new PJ's, spinkle reindeer food. Christmas morning, we used to open our stockings in mum and dads bedroom, now my children do it in our room befoe going downstairs to see if FC had eaten the mince pies.
    M2TandM

Answer by M2TandM at 8:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• growing up we had no patience so we always opened presents and had snack food (appetizers) for dinner. we still do that - appetizer dinner at my parents - lots of food that my dad and I spend months coming up with and presents and just a lot of fun.

christmas morning we open presents with the kids and have a lazy morning.

I cook dinner and his family comes over for dinner. we open the presents from them and thats about it.

for the kids we also have a couple of traditions (before we leave the night before I sneak back in and put a pair of jammies and a note on their pillows from one of santa's elves) for when we get home from Gramma's house.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• The following was a tradition as I was growing up and now one I keep with my family. The night the tree went up, we each got a new ornament to put on the tree. It was always a special ornament that had something to do with whatever we were intrested in at a time. Then when we were grown with homes of our own, my mom gave us the ornaments that were ours to put on our own tree. This way we all had enough decorations to start our own tree.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:25 AM on Dec. 4, 2009