low income - how is it done

my oldest is a freshman in high school. sooooo much of what she does is on line. she needed me to purchase power point so that she could access some of the assignments. she has a cruddy teacher in one subject and needed a tutor.

how do low income families keep up???? i am shocked at how much is expected and required now-a-days in high school. back in my day we could get help from the teachers, we could get hand outs, we could do many free things and get by. the colleges were not as competitive and therefore a B with good test scores would work. now it seems that you need above a 4.0, sports ($$$), and charity work. forget an after school job... no time.

I am now really really understanding why there seems to be a bigger and bigger gap between the haves and the have nots. When a basic public education is THIS hard.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• If the student cares enough, there are ways. There is the Library and there are tutors through the school that maybe aren't the greatest but will help some.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• yah... but dang. it just sucks.

I can not begin to express how blessed I feel. I am overwhelmed at the hoops kids have to jump through now a days.

No wonder there are so many burnt out 20-30 something yr olds. i dont think I worked that hard until after school when I was actually in my career.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• anon 9:13,
    I don't know where you live but here there are no free tutors, the libraries don't have powerpoint on their computers, either at the school or at the public libraries, and the hours have been sliced so bad that you can't hardly get to a computer. Then there is the costs for extracurricular stuff, which is practically required by colleges these days, assuming you can even get in. So Op I feel your pain, wish I had some great ideas but I'm in the same boat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Well, you have to motivate your children PRE-high school. My sons are seniors and they play football, run track, one is in drama (2 plays a year), they maintain good grades (4.0 cumulative GPA and 4.25 cumulative GPA) and they work 8-12 hours during football and track season and 16-20 hours the rest of the time. They have been working for 15 mos.. Just because a high school student is involved in sports doesn't mean that they cannot work pt. They are active within the community (need 100 hours of community service to graduate and both have over 400 hours), work, play sports and get good grades, know how to pay bills and budget. They are both tutors, they volunteer along with other students. We live in a community of less than 2000 and our library has Power Point. Your teen CAN ask for help, find a friend WITH PP...there ARE ways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Don't purchase powerpoint! Use Open Office: www.openoffice.org , or she can use the Tech Center at school. Instead of paying a tutor, send her to peer tutoring at school.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:41 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Our High school offers free peer tutors through the honor society. I know what you mean about the gap widening. It does seem like it would be harder and harder to pull yourself up by your bootstraps!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Holy cow, now kids have to work hard for what they want instead of getting hand outs? OMG, what's wrong with the world today?
    Anonymous

• I went through high school watching my mom struggling to pay bills.

My senior year i filled out my FAFSA for college showing that my mom had $20 bucks in her checking account.

I spent time at the library when possible(lived 20miles out of town with no public transport, and no family vehicle for a while) We didn't have internet and barely had a computer.

I still made it into college, payed/paying for it myself and fin aid.

Its hard but possible, you just have to work harder and more inventive.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• You could have gotten Open Office for free for the Power Points. That's how low income families do it, find it for free.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I think SMART low income families just keep asking and searching for help and answers. I was a single low income mom for a few years. I became a professional beggar. I got my kids scholarships to private schools, sent them to summer camp for two weeks for free etc. Work smart not hard. Refuse to take no for an answer when it comes to your children. There is the library and most teachers will stay after if the child needs help. Computers are a way of life now. Don't buy before you do your homework. Keep searching and asking. It is only a matter of time before you will open doors that don't cost money.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2009