How can I teach my son to say real words?

My son will be 17 months and only says 2 words, the doctor says he should be saying at least 6 and when we work with him on talking he just baby talks.

mommy_to_be0708

Asked by mommy_to_be0708 at 12:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Start reading to him every day and night. Dont baby talk him anymore, and when you find yourself alone with him just keep talking to him. I read a page in a children s book and my son will repeat the words after me when I ask him to. Also I got my son the baby can read program and it really helped. He knows a lot of words and he even recognizes words. It is a bit pricey so if its not in the budget get him flash cards.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:31 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Usually it doesnt sound like real words but you kind of know what they are saying. My daughter is 16 months old and only says a couple of words but they dont really sound like actual words. She says good girl but it sounds like goo gool. She does say nite-nite and hi but thats pretty much it. I've been trying to get her to say more words also but it doesnt work. My Dr. says she should say between 3 and 6 words and not to worry because once shes ready to start saying more words then she will and not to push it on her. i wouldnt worry too much. Shes probably saying words but you dont know it because they dont sound like words but just baby talk
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 12:32 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I would just talk, talk, talk to him all day long. With my son, who is 16 months, I tell him everything I'm doing, when we do things like get him dressed I tell him what we are doing and what each thing is... Like, lets put on your shirt, lets put in your arm, lets put your sock on your foot... things like that. We also read to him every day a few books. So far it seems to be working... he says about 30 words and seems to learn something new everyday.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:42 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Just talk to him a lot and don't put too much stress on him to say 'real words'. Kids will talk when they feel like it. A game my son loves (he'll be two in a couple weeks) is to just walk around the house and point at things for me to name. He'll point at the same thing forever but I just keep repeating it and sure enough a week or so later he's got his own version of the word. Take some time every day to really focus on what he's saying (some days I can't understand a word my son says unless I focus and ask him to repeat himself a couple times) to see if you recognize anything. A couple of his words I'm pretty sure came from me misunderstanding what he was saying, too...
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 12:43 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I really like this book, Let's Talk Together: Home Activities for Early Speech & Language Development. It has a ton of ideas on how to get your child to be more verbal. Just talking can be very overwhelming. Not only that but there is an order as to what sounds a child can make. First work on bilabial words, baby, ball, mama, mine, papa. Say the word (in context) slowly. b-a-b-y then stop. Allow him to hear it again then wait 10 sec.

I teach my son sign but learned a lot when I worked with a speech therapist. She would also repeat the baby talk. By doing this, I found out as drs1206 wrote that many of their sounds are them trying to pronounce something.

Just to add, I was amazed at how I tend to mumble sounds when my son signed perro (dog) when I said Pedro! He's done this before when I've said other words that sound similar.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:06 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My son is 12 months and we've been reading to him since birth. he picks up this one book specifically baby's first 100 words and points to the pictures and says what they are. We do it together all the time and now he just picks up the books and play with it alone. Maybe you could try something like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• If you are really concerned, call Early Intervention. But two words and babbling is really "okay" at his age. By the time he's 2 he should be saying about 50 words and using 2-3 word phrases. But if you want peace of mind, see about getting speech therapy. Better early rather than later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Start reading to him. In addition, I got interactive kid games which emphasized the vowels and consonants.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 6:45 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My LO is 17 mos and is up to about 50 words and now we are using a few 3 word sentences. It will happen when he is ready. My LO is saying things that don't sound like real words to anyone but mommy and daddy. But I do know what she is talking about and I correct her when she says something wrong until we get it--eventually. She started using "peas" (please) when asking for something. Just be patient.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2009