what happen to my tomatoes?

I'm new to gardening. I've managed to grow tomatoes and green pepper. This winter we are really excited about gardening.

So I've been reading the seed packages and it says something about "frost" when referring to time. I'm confused.

Also I was reading something that led me to believe that you suppose to grow somethings in a pot in your house. Then when it grows a certain number of feet, then its strong enough to put into the ground. Does that sound right?

Lastly, what are the size or name of the wood and the things that hold the wood together when making those huge thingies to grow in. I'm sorry I don't know any terms. I will be taking some classes but they start in the spring.

I appreciate any advise and help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I am a new gardener too, so i am not much help. I am going to recommend the book Green Thumb, it's a book I picked up to teach my kids some things, but I gotta tell ya, I have learned so much from it. We are growing seedlings in our house currently. I have heard that as well, right now, we have garlic, green peppers, sunflowers, parsley and basil growing, along with some other plants... My garlic is about 18 inches tall now. good luck!!
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 1:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• check out my profile for some gardening groups, or send me a note. i am fairly adept, been gardening (with dad) since i was 11. now is not the time to be planting anything indoors or out as far as tomatoes. what exactly are you doing with these seeds? and where are you located?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Thanks newbie green thumb.

What exactly are you doing with these seeds?
    ***right now just reading the packages lol. I'd like to start growing some veggies & fruit. I went by our neighborhood garden and seen that they are growing lettuce, carrots and herbs. I also seen some squash. I bought a pot of broccoli and lettuce, and also herbs as well. Can I put those in the ground? I like their layout with the wood box looking thingies.

and where are you located?
    ***im in Palo Alto, California.
    TummyPrincess

Answer by TummyPrincess at 9:32 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• those wooden boxes must be raised beds. you may want to ask an employee why they are using raised beds. especially if the garden is near your property. you probably have the same soil.
    it seems as though they are growing traditionally raised fall crops. although the squash is surely left over from summer. perennial herbs will be fine to plant now, actually an excellent time to plant them. broccoli will do great where you are. let me check out your zone and i will get back to you. if you do raised beds at your place, you will likely spend quite a bit on soil being brought in. start with asking the nursery why they have raised beds, and where did the soil come from inside the little squares.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:22 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I must be "richie" WTFE! Did I say that lol its really early here. I appriciate those of you who are understanding. This is not a college paper, get over your self. You can always tell when people are so unhappy with themself. Its just the nasty things they say out of no where.

I believe they use those boxes because they use organic soil. I'm guessing but will ask when I go down there Monday, that's when they are open.

I will wait for your next message.

Can you tell me where these mushrooms came from? They are growing by my tomatoes.

Thanks 8-)
    TummyPrincess

Answer by TummyPrincess at 10:59 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• the mushrooms came from either spores in your soil, or some wood pieces around that area. mushrooms need rich organic moist soil/substance to grow in or on. likely, the spores were always there and always will be, everytime you have wet warm weather, you'll have mushrooms.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:02 AM on Dec. 7, 2009