how do you stop your child from having a tantrum in public? if they have asd.

asd is autism spectrum disorder.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Health

• I have rule reminder cards on a ring that we carry through the store, and a rule chart that we go over before getting out of the car. Should he have a tantrum that I can tell is not going to end, I leave my cart and take him home.
    My biggest solution has been to limit how often he gets to go, and when he does, we follow the same routine, and I mean even when I am running in for one thing, we do walk the same way as if we were doing a whole shopping trip.
    scrapbug

Answer by scrapbug at 4:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• re direct their attention and if they don't stop you leave period drop what your doing and leave.
    allisha_mom2B2

Answer by allisha_mom2B2 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• i dont know if you can do this these days but my mom and grandma would just walk away and leave me screaming in the middle of the isle! then i would realize i was alone and stop, they were just the next isle over!
    shetibo

Answer by shetibo at 2:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Depends on the trigger. If it's one of those "I want it" or not liking the word no things, We usually just stand and wait for them to finish, as long as they aren't hurting themselves or others, We tell them when they're ready to talk, we'll listen, then we give them no reaction to the melt down. If it's being overwhelmed, tired, not feeling well.. we take them and leave. (I have 2 boys on the spectrum.. lots of fun!)
    faeriemamma

Answer by faeriemamma at 2:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• try redirecting there attention is the best. if that doesn't work get down to there eye level and use really calm (almost whisper) and let them know it's ok the be upset but they can't have it/ do that/ run off/ scream (etc) right now.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 10:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I hope you find an answer. I had horrible tantrums the walkiing away thing, well that just made it worse. So I pray you find your answer but distraction I think would help because its all about attention, I think. so good luck!!!!
    vidasmama

Answer by vidasmama at 1:49 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• You don't. Both my kids are autistic and I just don't take them too many places by myself. I get lots of looks and love the idea of the cards to hand out to those people who think my kids are just acting out. Good luck. I do my shopping while they are at school or on the weekends when daddy is home.
    Anonymous

• If you can't leave them home with someone you just have to do what you can. If that means dropping everything and leaving so be it. Redirection works sometimes not always. And no you cannnot walk away from them. Not an ASD child. They take everything literally and it will compound the issue. So I guess just leave the situation altogether. It is too overstimulating for them and they just don't know how to handle it appropriately.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I tried everything-then I started letting her have her tantrum without an audience. I would take my older son, and we would go one step out of her sight, and listen for the tantrum to stop, then I would come back quick! Don't do this where it isn't safe though! Babies are taken when they get out of sight! AGGG! We found that the last resort ditch of taking her audience away-us-was what was needed. She got lots of attention other ways though-it is a balance.
    lawandapam

Answer by lawandapam at 10:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2008