Feeding my 10 month old.

My daughter will be 10 months old in a couple days. She has been on solid food since she was 6 months, but hasn't had any table food.

She eats 3 meals a day...but all baby food (oatmeal and stage 2 jar foods)

I just started reading that she should have already been getting table food and finger food.

What should I be giving her?

Also, she is breastfeeding exclusively...she has never had a bottle....ever. I cannot get her to drink from a cup.

How is she going to drink milk in a couple months? I still plan on nursing for awhile after her birthday, but shouldn't she have cow's milk with her meals?

I'm starting to panic.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, don't panic. You're trying to follow those books which is the problem. When you BF you and baby are on another playing field.
    So, no bottle, GREAT! you've solved the problem of weaning her from the bottle. Introduce sippy cups with a soft spout, nuby are the ones DS liked and he HATED the bottle. (He would wait til I got home from work to nurse!) Give her water in the sippy.

As for milk, if you wanna pump and continue to give her BM in her cereal or pureed food, go ahead. She doesn't NEED cows milk. If you're like me (DS is 18mos) I stopped pumping but still BF, then give Soy milk. (I recently stopped cuz it's expensive). Now I add cows milk to his oatmeal or puree food.

As for table food, you can start with cheerios. DS hasn't moved on to table food but he'll eat sliced apples, cheerios, crackers, bread, banana but still won't eat regular food :( That's why we have a feeding therapist :)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:40 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Thank you Vero. I feel a little better. I just want to make sure I am doing the right/healthy thing for her. I am very happy to not have to wean her from a bottle, but worried about her not taking a cut either. I bought one sippy cup (not a nubby though) and she won't have anything to do with it.

Cheerios sound like a good idea...I am paranoid about her choking too. So I want to be careful.

I don't know if she should be eating the same meals at the rest of the family or if she should still be getting baby food and just some finger food.

I really appreciate your answer and insight! Good luck with your son!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My son wasn't a fan of the sippy, but I let him play with it (suggestion from another mom) and in time he started getting sips here an there.
    Funny thing is when he sees a baby with a bottle he signs water since he think EVERYBODY drinks water from a cup LOL!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• LOL water is great
    better than juice, haha :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• No she doesn't need to have cow milk with her meals. Water or pumped breastmilk are just fine. I would start working harder with a straw or sippy cup though (just my opinion) I also would not let her PLAY with the cup. The last thing you really want is for her to start thinking it's a toy. Meal items are not toys.

Start dicing up what YOU are eating. Fix her a plate and let her feed herself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• At that age, we started giving our baby a sippy with water at every meal. Good finger foods are diced avocado, baked sweet potato, zucchini, brown rice noodles, etc.

Baby Led Weaning is a fantastic book and website: www.babyledweaning.com

Super Baby Food has great recipes for babies, toddlers and their families: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 6:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I started giving my kids what ever we were having, I just "mushed" up what I could, and what wouldn't "mush" I chopped up real small. Be prepared though, some kids will refuse baby food after tasting table food. My youngest had one bite of a homemade chicken potpie and never would eat baby food again LOL
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 8:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Thank you so much for the replies. She is holding a cheerio right now, she won't let me put it in her mouth...yet. I am going grocery shopping tomorrow and am going to try the foods suggested. I am also going to get a different sippy cup and see if that helps.

And I bookmarked the websites suggested. lol

Hopefully she gets the hang of it. Thanks again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Just wanted to chime in here... like other ladies have said, no cows milk required! As long as you are nursing (and nursing throughout the second year is fantastic for them for so many reasons!) she doesn't need any kind of replacement milk.

Start with table foods... my 8 month old eats whatever we're eating. I just make sure it's soft enough and that he can pick it up. We eat healthy in general though, I wouldn't give him french fries or anything like that! :)

Cups... try different sippys (with water)... you can try straws. It took my first about 4 months to figure them out. My 8 month old still doesn't understand them. Just offer it to play with and she'll get the hang of it. Until then, nursing is all she needs!

Goodluck, and great job mama!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• She does not need cows milk as long as you are breastfeeding her and even after that she doesn't need it since she's not a calf! So I wouldn't worry to much about it, as long as you breasfeed or feed her a healthy diet cows milk is completly unneeded, besides that cows milk has a lot of nasty stuff in it.

About the table foods, I don't know why everyone is rushing their babies to eat table food. She is only 10 month old she does not need to be eating table food yet. My dd started to eat finger food at about 14 month before that she refused anything that wasn't pureed. She is 28 month old now and eats everything. As for the sippy cup we had the same problem until I tried one with a straw.
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 12:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2009