Can I get a breast pump to borrow through wick?

I really need a new pump I would like a Medela.

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 1:50 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You wic office should have rentals.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Call your local Lactation Consultant. Sometimes they rent them for way reduced prices to those who qualify.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Yes but you dont get to pick what kind.
    The office I used with my first had the big industrial ones lol
    Not portable at all.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 1:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• The ones you can rent from WIC are usually hospital-grade...so it doesn't matter the brand really, it'll be better than those you can buy at like Target.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• yes you should be able to get one from WIC for free. they are the hospital grade ones, and i LOVED mine when i had them both times! very durable and reliable!
    Mavoreen

Answer by Mavoreen at 3:46 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• If you are on WIC and need to pump at work they will provide one for free. If you are not on WIC or are not needing it to return to WIC then they will not rent you their pumps (at least our office didn't) you will need to call a local hospital to rent a good one or buy one. The reason they don't rent is because they only have so many and they are meant for women who are on WIC and returning to work. I had one and it was portable (not as much as the store bought brands though) and worked great.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:02 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• my wic office didn't rent them. i asked and they said only if i was going back to work do they even offer you one for free. i was truthful and said i wasn't planning on going back to work but if even i wanted to with the state things are in that it's likely i wouldn't find a job anytime soon. they gave me one for free anyway. it has come in handy since NB and i were having feeding issues.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I was loaned one for free by our WIC office. This is from the WIC website:

"Breastfeeding mothers can receive breast pumps, breast shells or nursing supplementers to help support the initiation and continuation of breastfeeding."

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/Breastfeeding/breastfeedingmainpage.HTM
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Oh, and I wasn't going back to work and that didn't seem to factor into whether or not I was loaned a pump at all.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• You can. You actually get a new one here, that is yours to keep regardless of if you work or not. Just have to have your doctor right a prescription for it and they will give you one at our local pharmacy.
    mkrmomma1

Answer by mkrmomma1 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2009