ok no bashing. im just being honest and want to see how others feel about it.

In my area it is 85% one race(not kidding) and I'm the minority. I'm looking for daycare & have come across a big problem that I didn't anticipate. All the care givers don't speak very good english if at all. So there is a huge language barrier. And my DD will be the odd one out because she is a diff race. I would like my DD to learn her languages first (my DD's chinese/mexican) and not hear and be surrounded by just one language. Its nothing against that race its just I'd rather have a multicultural group of kids. My friend doesn't agree although she only speaks to her son in that language and her nanny has to be that race. And as a matter of fact she got upset when a spanish lady said hola to her son. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Fluency in a second language is something most Americans are woefully lacking, compared to European countries. Little children learn languages easily. But---be very careful of this in a daycare situation. The caretakers MUST be fluent in BOTH languages to effectively communicate with you and to teach your child a second language. The caretakers will not only be teaching your child, they will be caring for a very young child as well and MUST be able to communicate any concerns about her well-being to you, clearly and precisely. You also don't want your child to grow up speaking with the accent of a foreign language in an English-speaking nation where it could possibly hurt her chances in school or at a job later. Not to mention, YOU must be able to communicate with your child!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Op here-this is how I see it. If my DD stays @ a daycare where all are this one race including the caretakers. Then most likely they will be speaking that language all the time and she will end up being confused and probably scared because she can't recognize with them. This race for the most part always speak to their kids in their native tongue and let them learn english in school @ around 5. Does anyone understand why I wouldn't want her to go there? Its really hard to find one close enough not like that, I have really been looking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• You haven't stated that a multicultural group of kids is even available to you. That's the true issue. What your friend thinks matters not at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:36 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• When we lived in Europe I attended a European preschool. My parents lived off base and both thought it would be good for my sister and I. I was very young when we went to this country, but I can still remember being freaked out. I spoke some of the language, but really felt alone. I have never gotten over this fear of people not able to understand me. I remember having night mares about it. My sister used to get into fights with the teachers because she wanted to keep her bread from lunch and they wouldn't let her. I bet it was a great school. I just wanted to be home. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I think its perfectly acceptable to want a multicultural group. Its important for your child to feel comfortable and its also important to teach that its ok that we are all different. We live in a mainly white area but other minorities have been moving in and there are kids of other nationalities in my sons class and I think its great. My son has loved learning words from other languages since he was little
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I don't think that culture really matters until your kids are in high school. I've had multiple discussions with friends and to be honest i didn't even know that i was white until i was in high school. I mean i knew that i was but it wasn't really an issue. I had black friends, mexican friends, white friends and asian friends and to be honest they were all kids until i got to high school. I wouldn't worry too much about what language the caregiver or the other kids speak and start worrying about the quality of daycare.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Learning multiple languages is fantastic for brain development. Children who grow up speaking more than one language speak a little later, but are certainly not damaged.

My daughter went to a very multicultural preschool. She spent kindergarten and 1st grade at an all-white private school, while she was waitlisted for the gifted programs. I picked her up after her first day of school, and she said "Mom, why does everybody here have light skin?". The public schools that she has attended/attends are incredibly diverse, and she has been enriched by this: my Jewish kid has a hijab-wearing Palestinian locker partner .

As long as you can effectively communicate with the staff, and the care matches your childcare philosophy, then this sounds like a fine place for your child.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• There is no way I would leave my English speaking child with a daycare that did not speak English. As for friends. You can make friends other places than at daycare.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Personally, while I do agree with wanting a mulit-cultural environment...she has to learn the dominant language in her area. If she doesn't, she's never going to be independent enough to live in that area. It's easier for them to learn by immersion and at a young age. She will catch on very quickly, and she will still be learning her hereditary languages at home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I would not care. I was raised in a bi-lingual home though. I think it's wonderful for children to learn more than one language. The best time to learn more than one language is while they are kids. Kids who speak more than one language have higher IQ's & use more brain percentage. I would not mind at all. It maked children smarter. Just my personal opinion.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:29 AM on Dec. 4, 2009