chewing

i have a 3 month old puppy. what would be the best way to get her to stop chewing on everything but her own toys?

djsmommy13

Asked by djsmommy13 at 2:46 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Pets

• I'm in the same boat lol she is still teething so that makes it harder. So far what I've been doing is telling her no when she is chewing on something she isn't suppose to and then I give her something she is allowed to have
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Don't ever leave her unattendedm use a crate when you are not home and puppy proof the house as much as you can. Bitter apple is a great product to teach them this. You should also make sure you give her toys that she can't destroy immediately. Kongs are great and you stuff them. I like knuckle bones and soup marrow bones as well. The bones of course have to be replace peridically but they last for some tme. I also like to take an extra kong, stuff and freeze it thid will take the puppy longer to work on. When you see the puppy chewing something she shouldn't take one of these things and trade her.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:08 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Crate train. Only way. If she never has the chance to do wrong and she is always given the chance and praise to do right, she will be a good girl.

When she is not in her crate (you are home watching her), she can't have access to stuff that isn't hers. The kids will have to pick up their stuff.

A spray bottle is very effective when she is caught in the act. Most dogs don't understand they are being punished after the fact. If the item is destroyed, they don't remember or associate that they did wrong. Dogs have an 8 minute memory.

Don't give her chewies that mimic stuff she can't have. Like if she has chewed a rug with fringe, no toys with fringe. If she is a shoe chewer, no shoe shaped squeek toys.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• ecodani hit the mark, excellent!
    ALSO, sounds slightly weird/mean, but if they are chewing furniture, mix 1 part cayenne pepper powder with 1 part water and smear on the already chewed area... they will NEVER chew it again. after the first time the encounter the pepper, clean it off. MAKE SURE THAT THEY HAVE PLENTY OF WATER! it won't cause any permanent damage- i got the idea from my vet- but it will teach them very quickly what to avoid.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• These moms have some great suggestions! To add to the kongs, crates, bitter apple, avoiding toys similar to forbidden objects, and trading an appropriate toy for an inappropriate one, I have one more recommendation. Keep the pup on a leash attached to your belt. This way, she is always in sight and you can correct her if she goes after something she shouldn't, even better, you can distract her if you see her going in that direction. Set her up for success early on and whatever you do, do not let your guard down!
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 11:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2009