how early can they do a csection? In what week of pregnancy

atkmommy

Asked by atkmommy at 6:47 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Pretty sure most do it around 38 weeks, but really it can be done at any time. Especially if there is a emergency.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• my dr wont do elected ones til 40 weeks. you may have to ask your dr
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I am sure different doctors have different policies on this. Some theories say that if you wait too long it is too much stress on the baby while others say that if you do it too early you are depriving the baby of much needed developmental time in the womb. It's probably best to ask your doctor what his policy is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• well there are risks to doing a c-section before labor starts itself. if i HAD to have a c-section, i would do it after labor started. that way you can be sure that baby has signaled "i'm ready!" even if they wait until 40 weeks, baby might not be ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• If there are complications it could be done very early. But if baby is healthy, mom is healthy, usually at the end of the third trimester within the due period (the later, the safer).

Are you asking because you're having complications?
    If you have IUGR or pre-e or abruption, --serious complications a cesarean should (depending on the situation!) happen soon.
    Cesareans are a severe intervention, but should be weighed against risks. If baby is safer outside mom than inside, it's possibly safer to surgically deliver asap.

Are you okay?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Planned ones are usually done between 38 and 40 weeks with the majority right at 39 weeks.
    I've had 4 c-sections. The first one was at 38 1/2 weeks, the 2nd at 39 weeks and 3 days and the last 2 were at exactly 39 weeks. The 2nd one would have been at 39 weeks, too, but that was a Friday and they didn't have enough doctors on call to cover the office so I had to wait until Monday. I was miserable that weekend, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123138530855663493.html
    Note the second paragraph...
    "The study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that about a third of elective c-sections are done too early -- before 39 weeks."
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 1:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My first wasn't a planned c-section. But the hospital I delivered at did repeat c-sections at 39 weeks. It fell on a Sunday, so I delivered on a Monday. I was 39 weeks 1 day.
    mommyof2EO

Answer by mommyof2EO at 2:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I have heard of one at 35 weeks, but this was a high-risk pregnancy.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 2:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2009