can your kids text or call you from school?

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 7:38 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Last year my oldest started high school and she was allowed to have her cell phone on during breaks and at lunch and she texted me all the time. I enjoyed keeping in touch with her and knowing what was going on. She was supposed to turn it off during class but she would just silence it, so if I sent her one asking about after school practice, she would reply to me at break time or lunch time. This year, she goes to a christian private school and they are not allowed to have them on at school at all. They all have their phones with them, but no texting or calling during school. If she needs something (like one time, she started her period and was staying after, so she needed stuff and was too embarassed to go to the nurse) she waited until after class and went into the bathroom and texted me and then put her phone back in her purse. She rarely does it now that she isnt allowed to but will if she is desperate. Its fine with me.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Sure if they go to the nurses or main office they can call. Cells aren't allowed in my son's school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• No. Why would they need to?
    For one my kids don't have cell phones. They don't need them. And, two, they aren't allowed to be turned on at school at any time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:04 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• When I was in HS a couple yrs ago we could have them but they had to be OFF. Of course nobody followed this rule and yes, if our parents needed to text us they would, and we would text back. I had a few friends get their phones taken up because their parents were trying to text them xD
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 9:59 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• No they can't. They have to keep their phones off during school. They leave at 7:25 for school, they come home at 11:25 for lunch, go back at 12:30 and are home for the day at 2p. They don't have a need to call me. They have their phones with them in case there is an emergency at the school.
    Anonymous