how many years into married life, did you start buying your own christmas presents?

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 7:39 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Holidays

• He lets me know what he wants, I get it. I let him know what I want, he gets it. Not much of a surprise but if I am not blunt and straight forward on what I want, jeeze who knows what he would come home with. The first year we were married I gave him the benefit of the doubt and he came home with hot rollers for my hair...never again. Funny thing was he didn't even know what they did, he just looked at the hot chick on the box.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• We've been married for 8 months and we are getting closer to that. Hubby and I bought each other's presents on the same shopping trip, together, and he's already giiven me most (if not all) of them.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 8:29 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• less than 2..i gave him the benefit of the doubt last year...wrong of me..this year, i'm shopping for myself, again.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:04 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• every year I buy my own and then dh usually gets me 2 birthdya presents to make up for it. I just don't get ti eI scrimp and save all year to buy him really nice expensive gifts and he doesn't. I have asked him for 3 years to get me a stand up mixer, problem is is I cannot save for his presents plus that too. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Uhh, before marriage -.-
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Hummm, let me think.  I knew I was in trouble when he gave a pair of binoculars' on our first Christmas and I lived in an apartment building back then. I mean I never hinted I wanted to spy on the neighbors or anything.  lol  That was 32 years ago.   So, I guess I can say 7 years into our marriage I started out picking out jewelry which he had no problem with.  He tell me "Go out and spend big bucks in whatever you want."  Love it!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• We don't normally buy for each other...we will buy something together that we would both like the have... every so often we will surprise each other with something, but on the norm to us Christmas is for the children/grandchildren...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• We celebrate Chanukah and hubby and I don't get gifts from each other for Chanukah. Our children buy us small gifts (when they were younger they gave us things they made, toys they wanted to share with us, a special sports trading card to hubby, etc.) but we don't exchange gifts between the 2 of us. Chanukah isn't about the gifts. For bdays, my husband has never forgotten a bday in 24 years of marriage and always makes a point of getting me something with deep meaning.
    Anonymous

• he shopped for me the 1st year we were together. We have been together for 10 years, married 7. So 9 out of 10 years I have shopped for myself.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Wow I've never had to shop for my own gifts for Christmas. My husband and I have been together for 2 Christmases now, but I was with my ex-husband for 12 years and never shopped for myself then either.

I did choose the digital camera I wanted as a birthday gift but hubby still bought me 3 pairs of comfy slipper socks for my birthday because he said "you have to have something as a surprise"
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2009