Are you and your family getting the H1N1 shot?

I'm not sure it's safe...

Emmagr

Asked by Emmagr at 8:32 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Health

• No we declined it. My daughter is 19 months and she is home with me. The shot has mercury in it as does the regular flu shot. I Did hear that you can request the shot without the mercury (Thermasol it's called). I felt as though it was too new and I also didn't like how some places had a huge supply and some Dr. offices were out of it. I wouldnt trust going to a free clinic to get it. If you do decide to get it, get it from your Dr. not a free clinic. I also asked her Dr. what the worst would be if she "was" to catch it. She said fever and flu like symptoms. In my opinion, here in America, it's no worse than the regular flu. Dr. said the most at high risk are those kids with asthma or other chronic illnesses. Hope this helps.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:40 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My whole family got it, we haven't had any side effects at all.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 8:40 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My DS and DH had the H1N1 flu and they're fine now. Dr said anyone might has it without even realising it. He said it's not as bad as the media presents it. I asked 5 different doctors and they all say they wouldn't do it to themselves or their kids. It's too new and side effects can come up years later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• no

Answer by rkoloms at 10:19 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• In my area the H1N1 vaccine is not readily available. My husband was not able to get it, but would have if he could have. The local health department gave it to me because I'm pregnant (I was 30 weeks pregnant when I got it) and my children both received it (ages 3 years and 18 months). Here there are parents begging for the vaccine, but it's only available for pregnant women and children 3 years old or younger. None of us had any side effects and it's been more than a month since we got it.

The H1N1 vaccine is made the same way as the seasonal flu vaccine, they just plugged in the H1N1 virus. The H1N1 is a rather mild flu for most people, but if you are pregnant, under the age of 4, or have asthma or an auto immune disease, then this particular flu strain can be deadly. If you are in the high risk category it's highly recommended by dcotors that you get the vaccine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My state was first in line for this vaccine and the county we live in was one of the first in line as well. Having said that....We would never do this. My children are not high risk groups and even if they did get it, I felt it would be tolerable and mild. The week that a lot of kids were sick with the flu, the viral bronchitis was going around too. My children had the bronchitis and were all at home that week. The flu would have likely been better and milder than what they had. Breathing treatments every 4 hours, antibiotics twice a day religiously, tylenol every 4 hours and constant coughing and fever. I cant imagine any flu being worse. We dont do many vaccines anyway, so this was no different. I didnt feel exposing my children deliberately to a virus was a good idea. It has really slowed down in this area now. There are still some cases of the flu but for the most part, people are well now.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Not getting it but even if I did, there is no guarantee the shot will prevent me from getting it.
    Anonymous