Why do I hurt so much down there?

I'm 37 weeks, 2 cm dilated, having pretty strong contractions every 18 minutes, but the worst thing is severe aching down there. Maybe tmi but I feel like someone has stretched out my vagina to the point of near unbearable pain. It hurts the most in the process of sitting or laying down or getting back up again. Is this normal late in pregnancy and if not, what is it a sign of?? Oh and of course there is so much pressure down there, I feel like the baby may fall out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• During pregnancy you produce a hormone called Relaxin. It relaxes all the ligaments in your body. The reason you do this is because your pelvis is actually several bones held together by ligaments. These ligaments stretching make it possible for your baby to move through the pelvis and be born. Unfortunately it also really makes some women (me for one!) hurt during pregnancy. Especially right down the front of your pubic bone and then around the back at either side of your spine where it attaches to your pelvis.

I know it's no fun, but it does serve a pupose.  Hang in there!

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:40 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Excuse the typos. :) I haven't finished my coffee yet this morning, so I'm not quite awake.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:41 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• i felt the same way with my dd and had her at 37 weeks, i'd go on to the hospital
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't rush to the hospital, mama. More than anything it's your pelvis opening, as the PP said. The relaxin that makes is possible for baby to pass through the pelvic floor can also make things really uncomfortable at this point. I wouldn't go to the hospital until labor is in full swing.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 10:33 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Dont rush the the hospital like a PP suggested! It is TOTALLY normal to have alot of pressure (or pain) down in that area because once the baby is engaged then you have perminant pressure being placed on an area that isnt use to it!! My guess is that your 18 minute apart contractions will end up stopping because that is pretty far apart to even really take notice too.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:23 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Pelvic pain is normal, common. You can try baths, shower, acupuncture, stretches, etc.
    Your vagina hurts like sharp pains? Or is it constant? Do you have an infection? Baby might be pressing into nerves, that is common, too.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2009