man approaching middle-schoolers at the bus stop?

This morning I was standing on the porch watching my 11 year old sister while she waited for her bus,(the bus-stop is next door,but its over a little ways so i always watch just to be safe).All of the sudden a car pulled off right by the end of our driveway and someone got out,my first thought was that it was someone that was going to ask me directions or something,but instead of heading towards me he headed toward the 2 kids at the bus stop,so I started walking down and asked "can i help you" and before I could get all the way down to where they were the man got back into his car and took off-my sis said 1st he told them they was too close to the road(they werent,they were atleast 4ft.from the road)then he tried saying something hit his car(again it didnt),the biggest thing that gave me a bad feeling was because he took off once he seen me coming,if their was truely an issue he should have wanted to talk to an adult! maybe im

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• CONT. making something too much out of it,but you can never be too sure these days! we called the principal to make her aware of the situation,and also gave a report to the sherriff,would any of you have done the same thing or do you think I went overboard by making a report to the police?? I think the biggest factor that made me feel like something was fishy was the fact that as soon as I began to approach the guy he hurried and took off - I truely hope this was nothing,but I just cant stop thinking in the back of my mind what may have happend if I wouldnt have been outside!! its terrible what this world is coming to anymore when you cant even feel safe with your child at the school bus stop!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I would call the police. It would have been great if you remember the make/model of the car and maybe a plate number. I would talk to all the kids parents also so they can talk to them about stranger danger if they haven't already.
    DeannaBrady

Answer by DeannaBrady at 8:44 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• No! You did the right thing! I dont care what ppl think! It's our job as parents to protect our children! I would have done the same thing. Did you get his tag number? Lol
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:46 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Keep watching her while she waits for the bus. Even if there's nothing to worry about, better safe than sorry!!
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 8:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• i think u did the right thing too.if a child comes up missing around the neigber hood the cops have a possiable suspect
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:53 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Call the police. Keep an eye on the bus stop, I bet this guy is trouble.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• yeah the officer that came out was going to go over to the school and see if the kids could give him a better description of the guy when he left here.I saw the make and color of the car,but it was too dark yet&he got away too quick for me to get a plate number. i watch the bus stop every morning,after this im going to make sure im out there every afternoon too! the officer said just to keep a close eye out next week and if the car or the man re-appear to call 911 immediately.its sad that kids have to be afraid to stand at a bus stop for 5 minutes to goto school because of creeps!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• yeah i wouldv'e called the cops too, maybe they'll patrol the neighborhood in the mornings
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:11 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I'd watch with a gun from now on, or at least a baseball bat if you don't do guns. My cousin was abducted when we were kids. He got away, but later that year, the man killed a little girl in his class. I would ask the principle if they could give a little seminar at school to all the kids with a warning about stranger danger & a description of the man & what to do if they are approached. Remember to have your kids yell "FIRE!" instead of help. Sadly, no one responds to help. Everyone runs to see the fire though. You absolutely did the right thing.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I think you did the right thing by making authorities aware of the situation. You might also make your neighborhood watch aware (if you have one) or at least tell other parents on the street. That way more people can be watching, too.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 4, 2009