ONE Valium.... How bad is this?

My sister is a 30 year old mother of 2. She struggled with drug addiction (prescription pills), until 2 years ago, before she got pregnant with her daughter. It all started with a vicoden prescription after a broken ankle, and it spiraled (throughout the next ten years) into her taking multitudes of pills daily. (oxycontin, valium, vicoden, zanax, etc...) She almost overdosed, and ended up in rehab. She has touched a pill in so long. We are all so proud of her. She's a wonderful, caring mother, and has a great job that she loves.
HERE'S the problem. Last night, she had a panic attack. (she's had these on and off since childhood, but it's been a long time). We were at my cousins house, who happens to have a valium prescription. And my sister, after the attack, asked for one and took it. Other than my cousin, I'm the only one who knows. How serious is this? Should I just leave it alone, or should I say something to her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Health

• It's true that it can just take one drink/pill/etc to cause someone to relapse but, it's not a guaruntee. She was using it for it's actual purpose & in the appropriate amount. I would ask her how she felt that effected her recovery. I would also urge her to work with someone (probably a congnitive behavioural therapist) to develope ways of managing panic attacks in the future. Just because she can't take meds for it (& maybe there would be something non-adictive for her to try, I don't know for sure) doesn't mean she just has to suffer with them. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• OP continued....
    I know she was just trying to calm down after a very bad panic attack... But addiction is a serious thing. What should I do?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• just keep an eye on her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Yes, just watch her. And tell her to be careful. Now that she has a child, there are more important things in life to occupy her time. Hopefully, she is past the addiction & knows better than to go back to that. She has a child now, just hope & pray that that's her priority at the moment. If she is a good mother, then she will not go back to that.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2009