do you send bday cards to everyone in your family? holiday cards?

in my family bdays are not that big of a deal...i usaully just call and wish someone a happy bday (if i remember) i usually do..sometimes i forget but nobody get all offended. My hubbys family makes huge deals out of bdays. well, i did not send his grandma a card but we did call and wish her a happy bday. My MIL told me this morning that his grandma is complaining that she didnt get a card. We werent even invited to her bday dinner or else i wouldve stopped and bought her a damn card! I mean ...whats the big deal??? we told her happy bday! And why does this all of a sudden have to be my responsibility? I dont even remember my own fam. Does any one else get offended if they dont get cards on bdays of holidays or do you have family like this?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 9:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• hahaha..yeah, i feel ya..why is it the wife's job??? i bet he never sent cards, either..so why give you grief just because you are 'yoked' to him now?!?!? now, i am a card-sender, but i gave up sending bday cards/gifts to his immediate family simply because they were never acknowledged. we would never hear if the card(usually with giftcard or cash..i know, stupid, but my dh insists) was received, or what they thought of the gift. no phone calls, notes, emails, FB wall post, nada. i always take much time and effort into buying my sisters/parents gifts and cards. its not my fault his family isn't skilled in basic manners.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• well his mother informed me that she would always send cards for him...so i guess its my job to do it now
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• you do what you want, shay..but if something this simple is prompting your MIL to try to lord over you, i'd tell her you've got your own mommie, thank you. don't let her boss you.
    GL!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:35 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I only send cards to the ones I like.... I my world a call counts the same as a card... Tell your MIL she effed up by playing social coordinator for her son rather than TEACHING HIM how to handle is own responsibilities. (It is a mother's job to raise an adult, not make them dependent.) And tell her that if it is expected that you want a calendar from her with every important date written in. And to make sure you have all the required addresses.  I have 2 stupid SIL who will send cards for every freaking holiday and birthday, but don't say hello when we see them on the street.  They are two-faced b!tches.  I stopped playing their game many years ago.  Sounds like you are a newlywed.  Try it their way for a few years, but if they don't respond (see first post) then drop them. Except for his Grandmother.  Her you have to put up with.  Welcome to the lovely world of in-laws.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I am not a card sender. I do send thank you cards when someone gets a gift/money. I suck at mailing stuff out and it may be 6-8 weeks before it's mailed but at least I did it.
    My mom still signs my name (and my family) to cards. Once in a while I will give her money to cover cards for the next couple of months. I would rather spend 2 minutes on the phone saying happy birthday then 20 mins at the store trying to find a card, then filling it out and have to go buy stamps (I only buy at Christmas for letters/cards) then take it to the post office.
    army_wife_06

Answer by army_wife_06 at 10:22 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Wow. I thought card giving was passe but then I remember my folks and yes they are into cards. They don't do internet, so it makes them feel special and cared for.
    Anonymous