Is it okay to leave an animal (domestic) outside?

I was recently reading over the question about leaving a dog outside. It seems that there are a lot of differing oppinions about this subject.
My family lives on a farm. We have 4 dogs,They enjoy having a fenced back yard that is fenced so they are safe. We have 4 inside/ outside cats. We have 3 rabbits that live outside in all seasons other than winter. I feel no guilt about leaving my animals outside in the fresh air and sunshine as I believe that they were ment to be allowed to enjoy. My dogs and cats have had all their shots and are well fed and watered. Some ppl think that animals are just like humans and should be indoors at all times other than to do their business. What is your oppinion?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 9:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• this question was just asked yesterday...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• just like my children, who prefer to spend every waking moment that they are not sleeping, eating, bathing, or eliminating waste outside- most animals do as well. they deserve the freedom to do so. cats are carnivores by nature, and therefore they are hunters, keeping a cat in the house all the time is like keeping a bird in a cage (which is simply wrong. i can not respect a person who keeps a creature of flight in a cage)... nature designed them to roam about.
    now, keeping a dog on a chain in a yard without room to run, proper shelter, etc. is wrong... but outside animals? no.
    i know that people view pets as children, but they are not. as long as their needs are adequately met, and they are not abused, outdoor animals are fine.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:26 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• anon just dont say anything if thats going to be your answer, i wanted to see what response she got because i was curious, i opened it up and find your useless answer. just dont say anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I leave my dog out as much as I can. We have a kinda small house but a big fenced in yard. She needs her exercise so I make her stay outside. But if she is out too long she will bark at the door and I don't want to bother the neighbors so I let her in then. I see no problem with it.
    DeannaBrady

Answer by DeannaBrady at 9:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• It's ok to keave any dog outside (hubby vet)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I think it depends on the animal and the weather. Most dogs I would think would be okay outside as long as they had a shaded place to rest in summer, and a dog house with blankets in the fall and spring, and should be allowed inside when they want to be in the winter. Indoor outdoor cats will come and go as they please. My cats USED to be indoor outdoor til one of them disappeared. Since then I have been keeping them inside. Other animals that are meant to be outside such as rabbits, etc, should have a warm place for the winter, like a well insulated rabbit house or something. Larger animals should have somewhere where they can go too, like a small barn or something. I would never leave an animal out in the cold to fend for themselves, but I also don't think they're meant to be inside all the time either. Small animals like miniature dogs I also don't think should be outside all the time since they can't defend themselves.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:29 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Oh also, I do have to keep my cats indoors now since we live in base housing. If they were outdoors they could be picked up and taken to the pound.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:32 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• We have a dog door, so my dogs go outside whenever they need to. My cats are strictly indoors. My one cat is 15 years old and too old to be outside and we have a 5 month old kitten, he's too little to go outside. Not to mention it's -2 outside. We live in town and I really don't want to find my cats DEAD on the street, we also have a lot of fox in the neighborhood. So they stay indoors. My animals are my Furr babies
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:32 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• As long as shelter is available for them, why on earth wouldn't it be okay to leave them outside? Dogs, that is. Cats, I think depends on how they've been raised. If they've been primarily indoor cats, I don't think they should be left outside suddenly in the winter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I have no idea when people started treating animals like little children....they are not children, they are animals. They have adaptations, like fur and are meant to be outside. Should they ever come inside...sure, if you want them to. But to expect a creature that is supposed to be wild and outside to live a life inside I find to be cruel.

SanDiegoMaxMom

Answer by SanDiegoMaxMom at 9:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2009