Advice on Packing my son's Lunch, please.

Okay. I know how to pack a lunch for my child, but this is the problem. My youngest is 5 & is in Kindergarten. He's been eating school lunches, b/c #1 we were able to get it free this year due to our income #2 it was easier on my husband and I. The thing is that the last couple of days, he's been wanting to take a pack lunch b/c some of his friends do. I don't have a problem with that. What I want to know is that do any of you all know of some ideas for affordable items I can buy and pack for his lunch? Our budget is tight. There is no refrigeration or microwaving so it will mostly have to be stuff that doesn't need either. Thanks for any help I get in advance.

Desirae17

Asked by Desirae17 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Most days, my daughter brings a thermos with leftovers. I have a huge list of bagged lunch ideas that I have collected over the years; send me a message offlist if you would like a copy.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:17 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• we are BROKE and my kids have had to take either pb and j sandwiches, or those forzen pizzas that are like a dollar-I cook them and one day a week I let them take that so they don't hate me ;). as for drinks I just get capri sun or something- I buy a big bag of chips and separate into baggies myself (cheaper).
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:36 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Sandwiches are very easy & cheap to make. PB & J, or a ham, or chicken or turkey sandwiches are all cheap. You can get it all for under $10 a week. I give my daughter a peanut butter & banana sandwich (her fav) a fruit cup, & something snacky & crunchy like goldfish. Sometimes i substitute the fruit cup for yogurt or a piece of fruit. You can make it really cheap, especially if you can buy bulk at a Costco or Sam's club. She also buys milk at school, i don't pack her a beverage because she likes to drink the milk at school which is only 25 cents.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:37 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Unless he goes to before school, anything you pack will be fine without a fridge. Food can be safely left out for 4 hours. So if he goes to school at 8, as long as he takes lunch by 11:30, it'll be fine. If it will be much longer, put an ice pack in there. You can get little lunch thermoses at Target or Walmart for $5-7. They are a great investment. Then you can pack a hot lunch. Preparation is key. When I cook dinner, I plan a future lunch. If I cook soup, I freeze a couple containers with exactly how much I will need to fill up the kids thermoses. When I make meatloaf, I bake some of it in muffin tins. They conveniently fit right down in the thermos. I have frozen mashed potatoes & freeze gravy in an ice cube tray. I freeze things like this because it's easy & my kids don't ever feel like they are always taking all the leftovers for lunch. Even though they kinda are ;) You can pack anything in a lunch.
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 9:46 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My daugher loves PB&J so that is generally what I send. I always put fresh fruit in there, some chips and a surprise snack which is ususally a small piece of chocolate candy. She also gets her drink at school and they just deduct her lunch account. I let her take her lunch on days that I know she does not like what they are having, but she is only allowed to take her lunch one time in a week so she has to choose what day and if she likes everything at school that week, she just eats there. Since times are tight for you, maybe just allow him one lunch from home a week. Pick up one of those things you freeze and put into a cooler or lunch box and the sandwich will at least stay cold until lunch. I found really small ones at wal-mart for 97 cents. Hope this helps!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:52 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• He should still be able to get milk at school, so I wouldn't worry about packing a drink...or just pack a bottle of water.

Be careful with the PB&J sandwiches....know the school/class policy on peanut and nut products (just in case)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• freeze a juice bag or box that should help keep food cold that's what I do. Any sandwich will work . They really don't need much in the way of lunch I have been to my sons school and most kids do not even eat 1/2 of what they have before them . I would send a sandwich, fresh fruit or veggie and something else like crackers or chips or pretzels. Don't buy food or lunches that are already put together like lunch-ables you pay 10X more for those. Buy a bag of chips or pretzels and bag them your self.

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I agree with the lunchables being too much, but the kids love them. So we started making our own. I put some crackers in snack bag, some diced ham or turkey and diced cheese in another, a cookie, freeze a juice box or Capri Sun which makes me feel better about keeping it cold, although they eat lunch pretty early. She usually buys milk for lunch and drinks her juice at recess.
    ShelleyB64

Answer by ShelleyB64 at 4:05 AM on Dec. 5, 2009