Why isn't this on the news?

It's gotten remarkably little coverage so far -- perhaps because there's no "terrorist" angle -- but we're now catching up with case of an Iraq war vet now captured and suspected of killing two of his fellow servicemen, age 20 and 23, near the army base at Fort Drum, N.Y., where they all served.

Spc. Joshua Hunter, a military cop, fled to Ohio and has now bring brought back to New York. It's not known what sparked the murders but he had returned from 15 months in Iraq. The two victims served with him there and his wife says he considered them his "best friends."

Tonight AP talked to his wife, who said he had seen a good friend die at close range in Iraq, and held the victim in his arms afterward. He was totally changed when he got home, flying into rages, "abusive," sleepless, "edgy." His father and mother tell much the same story.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:42 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The media is not free. it's controlled by special interest- we all know that.

1. If the public understands just how little care, support, medical coverage, benefits, etc that military personnel get when they come home, the politicians will have to stop taking hand outs and start caring for the soldiers.

2. People are profiting from these wars. Can't get morale down.

3. Celebrity sex scandals are way more interesting to most consumers. If you don't stay tuned in and you don't see the commercials then the news network goes under.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:56 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Earlier today, the Watertown paper, near Fort Drum, cited quotes from his Hunter's My Space page:

"I dont need anyone but me, I am cold and heartless. unhappiness can be a way of life, but im not gonna be one of those little bitches who kills themselves i will take down anyone who gets in my way by any means necessary."
    After using some profanities, he continued, "i will not be stopped until i get my revenge. i am angry at the world and i will take it out on anyone... ."

AP's story tonight kicks off:

Relatives of a Fort Drum soldier accused of stabbing his two Army buddies to death said Thursday that he told them he saw his best friend "blown to pieces" in Iraq and came back a changed man: abusive, violent, sleepless, edgy and plagued by flashbacks.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:43 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Hunter's wife, Emily Hunter, told The Associated Press in a phone interview that her husband was outgoing before he went to war, but when he returned stateside, he was an emotional wreck. "He wasn't in any good mental shape at all," Emily Hunter said. "I tried to get him to go to therapy. They prescribed him medicine and stuff, but it just wasn't enough."
    She said he saw a therapist at Fort Drum because of his volatile emotions and violent outbursts. He'd just burst into tears; spouts of anger or sadness," she said. "There'd be one emotion but it would be really deep, just extremely happy or extremely sad. His emotions were always on the rocks."

Emily Hunter said her husband was haunted by one image: "He saw his best friend get blown up to pieces and he tried to put him back together," she said. "He was never right after that."

sweet-a-kins

• AP also talked to Hunter's mother, Judy, who said he was not the same after coming home.

He had trouble sleeping and would stay up for days on end. He sometimes suffered flashbacks. Though her son never talked to her about the war, he did confide in his father about "the trauma he went through," she said.
    She added: "Something went desperately wrong."

A story tonight in the Herald-Dispatch of Huntington, W. Va., reports:

Joshua Hunter told his wife, Emily, that he and his two friends -- both fellow soldiers and roommates of him and his wife -- had been drinking at their off-base residence near Fort Drum in New York. He woke to find both servicemen dead. He freaked out, fled upstate New York and called his wife from a hotel room in Wheelersburg, Ohio, where he was arrested on Wednesday.
    sweet-a-kins

• http://gregmitchellwriter.blogspot.com/

this is part of our huge cost of the war, why isn't this shown to people? Is it not important?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:44 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• This would be called pstd nothing more than that by these two faced hypocrites on this site.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• anon get real there is a HUGE difference between THIS story and Nidal Hasan..wth are you for real? UGH if anyone doesnt get that they never will the two just cannot be compared

Anyway yes some of our soldiers end up a mental mess from what they witness and deal with during war..and should recieve the care they are in need of...My grandfather was in wwII he is passed on now but wqhen he was still around he would go through a roguh time sometimes..he had flah backs of what he endured he was in the actual war to witness it all..and I remember one incident in particular I was about 5 yrs old or so and he was living with us..I woke to him ranting on hollaring and ran downstairs to his room where he was just out in la la land in his mind he was back in the war and he grabbed a rifle and was waving it around as if he was seeing the enemy ...anywa it was pretty scary esp for a 5 yr old and fortunately my dad came in and handled it.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:10 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• look over my typos ..its a mess
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:11 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• how do you know there is a difference TN. you are no authority to say and so far noone has claimed anything other than a crime so until that happens you need to chill out and relax with all your assumption.

so you think that this guy has mental illness but nidal doesn't why because one is muslim and the other isn't?

bigotry always shows in your responses .

at least most people know how to be neutral and wait until the facts are out instead of jumping to conclusions like you always do!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• "I dont need anyone but me, I am cold and heartless. unhappiness can be a way of life, but im not gonna be one of those little bitches who kills themselves i will take down anyone who gets in my way by any means necessary."

perhaps premeditated murder may be something to look into.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Dec. 4, 2009