Any one else try "Your baby can read!" ?

my 15 month old just got it as an early christmas present from his grandma and he watches it for about 30 seconds before he gets bored and walks away. I'm wondering how the kids on that infomercial learned anything from it. It is a little dull. Has anyone else tried it? And if so what are you doing to keep your child engaged with it?

Enjoli

Asked by Enjoli at 9:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know, it's very dull. I tried it on my DD when she was a toddler and she hated it.
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 10:00 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I really get so sick of seeing questions on this garbage. Do a search and you'll see all the other answers about this topic. It's stupid and does not teach them to read, it teaches them to memorize the shape of the words, not how to sound out the words and learn to spell.

Kids who learn to "read" with this garbage have a harder time in school when they have to start learning their individual letters and the sounds those letters make.

I would politely return it to the grandparents so they can get their money back (hopefully) and start working with him on your own to learn his letters, numbers, shapes and colors. Not the order of the letters but how to truly recognize them. Label everything...use building blocks and while you're building with him, ask for the "A" block and add it to the tower, then the "Z" block or whatever.

They learn through play, not through watching a stupid video and flash cards.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I have never understood the desire to push your babies into growing up so fast! Why in the world do babies need to learn to read before they can even speak? Studies show that even if you teach your kids to "read" at an early age, they don't have the ability to comprehend the meaning of the words they are "reading", so they are really just memorizing letters and sounds. Also, they eventually even out with all the other children which means they are no more ahead in the long run than they would have been to just learn to read at the appropriate age. Let babies be babies, they grow up fast enough as it is...
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• They just had a big recall deal with those Baby Einstein videos...I hope this one is next.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I agree with first anon except I'm glad you asked the question because other moms have the same question.
    I think its much better to learn how to teach your children through play, books and just experiences. A child exposed to books at early ages learn much more than just how to read. They learn how to memorize what comes next, imagination, talking, and the importance of reading. All things students lack more and more.
    I felt guilty for not spending the money on this program at first. But now my 14 month old daughter brings me books to read to her throughout the day, recognizes pictures (says ruff ruff when she sees a dog and moo moo when she sees a cow!), and I can see that she really loves books. Thats much better than loving videos and flash cards and will take her far in learning for life.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:44 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• The recall on Baby Einstein was because parents thought it made their babies smarter but it didn't. My baby watched a couple of them but it was to keep her entertained while daddy and I had personal time, or while I cooked/cut veggies in the kitchen. No parent should expect videos to make their kid smart. Intelligence is about genes, what we feed our bodies while pregnant, what we feed them, teaching, and time.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Seriously. This s!@# is whack yo. Tried sitting down with the baby y-day to watch a minute or two of it and it was slow as heck and she quickly grew bored with it. Just another waste of $$. I think I'll allow her to begin reading and speaking on her own the natural way.
    dani2780

Answer by dani2780 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Yes, Mamachamp. And this one claims to teach babies to READ. Until parents wise up, they'll continue to rip off parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• A) I don't believe it works and B) even if it does work, you really don't want your kid to learn "whole word" concept of reading. They need to learn the sounds letters and letter pairings make so they can learn to sound out other/bigger words. Stick to teaching your child letters and the sounds they make. They will be better off in the long run.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• They are memorizing what a word looks like, not actually reading.

Also, what is the point of pushing a baby or toddler to read? Let them be a baby for goodness' sake!
    Anonymous