My DS is very demanding with the breast.....

He is 7 months old. He grabs and tries to get to it himself and squeezes me. In Ingles last night he almost got it out himself in front of everyone. Should I stop Bf now??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Also he wants it ALL the time. Is this gonna make it harder when time to wean?? Is this normal?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• No you don't have to start. Just teach him proper manners.
    You don't have to let a baby scratch, yank, squeeze, or disrobe you.

You can gently say no and either put him down for a brief moment, or if nursing and he's hurting you say "ouch that hurts" and stop the session breifly then try again.

He'll get the hint.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:06 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Whenever babies enter a growth spurt phase or milestone they want the breast all the time. They are designed too. Your milk is based upon supply and demand. If he doesn't "demand" he won't have the supply for the growth spurts which require more food than normal. He's supposed to want the breast all the time! It's normal.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:07 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I agree with amileegirl. Feed your baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• No. :) Keep breastfeeding your baby. Just because he's expressing what he wants more clearly does not mean he's ready to stop breastfeeding.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:52 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Why would you stop because he is trying to eat and communicate with you? I would definitely try teaching him some manners and at that age, for me I taught them sign language and that is how they "asked" for it at home and in public. At this age the manners have to be enforced at home in private too and not just while in public since they do not understand that. if mine tried doing something like that I put them down where they could not reach it or gave them to someone else like daddy or grandma until they asked for it properly and then I fed them! If my children were hungry they were fed no matter when or where.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:00 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• He enjoys breastfeeding, breastfeeds well, and wants it often. I'm not sure why that would make you think weaning would be a good idea. Some BFing babies are all about boobs and some pay them no attention until it's meal time. Just try and teach him not to grab at you or pull at your shirt. I had a friend that had this problem, you just do your best to keep your modesty when you're out in public and encourage your baby to grab at a toy or lovey instead of you when it's not time to eat. Also, you may need to see if you need to feed him more. Maybe he's going through a growth spurt and is hungry. Odds are though, he's just enjoying the bond between you two and wanting to be close.

My babies only grabbed at me or burried their faces in my breasts when they were upset or didn't feel well.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:39 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• you dotn have to stop nursingf. like otehrs say teach him manners. he also might be going thru a growth spurt and wnats to eat alot more now. if only i was so lucky. i been exclusevely pumping for ds for 9 mts i would give anything for my dsto latch on
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:56 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• No you don't have to stop breastfeeding you just need to teach him some manners. He is only 7 month old so he could be going through growth spurts and really be hungry, maybe you just should take the time to feed him if he demands to eat?!
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 12:20 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• That's no reason to stop! Your child is hungry and he is letting you know.
    Anonymous