seizures in 16 month old

I was watching my neice and she is 16 months old she had a fever all day like 100 maybe gave her motrin then in no time he fever went to 105.8 called her mom she was coming to get her to take her to ER but before she got to my house she started having a seizure (she has never had one before) I was so freaked out it was SO scary so we call 911 and all and tell her to meet us at hospital they said that its a 30% chance she will have another and there is no need to call 911 again then one of the nurses said the fever going from one thing then jumping to almost 106 caused it the other nurse said no that didn't cause it does anyone have any input on this Please help so i can be prepared next time

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This sounds like a febrile seizure. Was your niece vaccinated recently? Febrile seizures are common following vaccination.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:28 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• As scarey are Febrille Seizures are, they aren't harmfull. The best you can do is to keep her fever down, as soon as she starts spiking give her motrin and alternate with tylenol. She should outgrow it. Good luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:28 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• OP---- A month ago she had her shots she had the flu shot NOT h1n1

This was so scary for me her dad also got arrested for speeding and not stopping time the cop pulled him over he explaind to the cop what was going on and the cop didn't care he pulled a gun on him and all so he was in jail didn't know if the child was alive or not the last thing he heard was over the phone the cop saying she is bearly breathing i had to call mom and dad and tell them to meet us at the ER
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• that cop is going to get fired for that. They should always ask if there is a medical emergency. I would definately report him for that. Definately! Anyway...I agree with the PP's I work with a handicapped adult who has seizures. The best thing to do is to talk to them and let them know you are there. I know it's scary, but that's sometimes how it goes.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:03 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• HAPPEN TO MY DD TWICE. THEY R CA;LED FEBRERAL SEIZURES. THYEY ARENT HARMFULL. BUT I DO HAVE TO CALL 911 CUZ HER FIRST SEIZURE LASTED 10MTS ANS SHE STOP BREATHING TWICE. HER SECOND WASNT ASS BAD.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Sounds like a febrile seizure... which a fairly common in children under the age of 5. They are harmless but very scary. They happen because the nervous system is still immature. She will likely have a few more before she outgrows them.
    They happen because the temp goes up so fast... not because a temp gets high... a child could have one with a temp as low as 101 if it went up fast.... and it sounds like with your niece it went up extremely fast.
    The best you can do to prevent them in the future is treat aggressively with Tylenol and Motrin at the first sign of fever until the fever is gone.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2009